Electric lawn mowers?

Elite

WKR
Im in need of a new mower this summer and wondering if anyone has used a electric mower before? I have a fairly large lot in town so definitely worried about run time. I also see Milwaukee makes one now. They usually do make decent products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
I’m assuming you mean battery powered mower? I have a Ryobi 40V mower I’ve used at home for the last 4 years and it’s been fine for my small lawn. It has about an hour run time. No mechanical issues at all. I’m a Facilities supervisor at a hospital and we’re using Ego electric equipment for the entire campus of 6 acres. We have an Ego 52” zero turn mower, push mower, snow blower, leaf blower, string trimmer, chainsaw and pressure washer. They are certainly more expensive but have been really great so far. We get almost 4 hours of run time on the zero turn. Well made and super quiet.

jbravo13

FNG
I think the technology is definitely getting there. The beefier toro, dewalt, Milwaukee big names etc. I think are about up to an hour run time. If you already run a certain battery family of one of those brands, that could be the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a makita battery powered lawn mower. I love how quiet it is and how there is no maintenance on it if I do not use it for a while. Runs on 2 batteries, but came with 4. My yard is very small, maybe 300 sqft. and I get about 3-4 lawn mows per battery charge.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
I have an electric mower to do the areas of my lawn that I can't reach with the riding mower. I don't like it at all because it's a gutless piece of shit and I have t do the maintenance on the rider anyway, so who cares if I do the small mower. If you have a small place, I think it would be fine (like 1/4 acre or less), but you'll need 2 bateries for sure.

jimh406

WKR
I had an electric mower years ago. It was fine except for the power cord. I now have a tiny Ryobi 18V mower. I use it on really hilly sections up next to the fence that I can drive my riding mower to, and it works fine. I bought Ryobi just because I have Ryobi 18V tools.

There are also self-propelled and riding mower models. You might check those out. It seems you can buy them at places like Ace Hardware on sales sometimes cheaper than anywhere else.

Wvroach

WKR
I have wondered, for as small of an area that a battery push mower would be used, why not an old reel mower?

Guess more comes into play with those, but I always liked the idea of one.
The wife has a Milwaukee weed eater and a reel mower for her flower garden. I have been expelled from that area of the yard having mowed over a few to many flowers I assumed were weeds.

Reel mower works well she just has to do it every 4-5 days otherwise it'll bind and not cut.

The wife has a Milwaukee weed eater and a reel mower for her flower garden. I have been expelled from that area of the yard having mowed over a few to many flowers I assumed were weeds.

Reel mower works well she just has to do it every 4-5 days otherwise it'll bind and not cut.

You confuse weeds, wildflowers, and flowers.

The middle being the first, however excepted as the third.

Broomd

WKR
We have a Ryobi 40v and it's been excellent for about three years now.
We bought three batteries and seldom need more that two for our half acre of grass yard and trimming.

BluMtn

WKR
I have a makita battery powered lawn mower. I love how quiet it is and how there is no maintenance on it if I do not use it for a while. Runs on 2 batteries, but came with 4. My yard is very small, maybe 300 sqft. and I get about 3-4 lawn mows per battery charge.
I have the same setup and really like it. I also have a small yard, takes about 30 minutes to do my yard. I can mow 3 times before I have to switch batteries.

lmeyer

WKR
I have a ryobi 40v. It works fine. It's light enough my 8 year old can push it with out complaint. And my wife can use it with out me having to gas/ oil/ start it. I will say that the grass needs to be completely dry be fore cutting. I tried cutting early morning when the dew hadn't dried up yet and I got about 1/4 the battery life I normally get when it's dry.

SoDak19

FNG
I've been running the electric chainsaws for awhile and been impressed with the battery life. No doubt I'll be switching to an electric mower when it makes sense.

SWOHTR

WKR
I had a corded Black and Decker. Power wise it was fine but I hated it, that stupid cord.

Cordless tech is getting there but I don't own one. I opted for gas. That said, I think the power tool brands are putting out some decent products now. I would guess in the next 5-10 years "we will be there" in terms of cordless tech for the average suburban household.