Electrical Contractor Opportunities for Son

Poser

WKR
If interested, I can provide a direct job referral to the shop Foreman of a contractor in Farmington NM. I know they are looking for more help. You would need to shoot me a PM with his contact details.

That being said, Farmington NM is the New Jersey of the Southwest.

OP
Carr5vols

Carr5vols

WKR
as mentioned dit is very expensive out west. Much more than Georgia. How is he working long days in snow and ice stormsand some sub zero temps
He is good with it. He thinks his generation is full of weak individuals and he loves " to suffer" as he puts it. Says it makes him a more mentally strong person.

He is very tight with his money. He still drives a 2000 truck he bought 3 years ago even though he is making good money here.

Wrench

WKR
Hit the books at the local 77 as a grunt and show your salt. If he's worthy there's plenty of contractors and utilities who'll offer apprenticeship opportunities.

Be warned, it's not for the faint of heart. There's a lot of belittling to be gone through, but he'll soon learn that was all done to make him pay attention and save his life. When your foreman talks, listen right now, accurately and follow instructions to the letter.

OP
Carr5vols

Carr5vols

WKR
If interested, I can provide a direct job referral to the shop Foreman of a contractor in Farmington NM. I know they are looking for more help. You would need to shoot me a PM with his contact details.

When he gets in tonight let me ask him about Farmington. Been thru there once leaving durango...

mntnguide

WKR
Tell him to go IBEW union asap. local 160 here has a very good contract.
Currently pretty hard to get into the MSLCAT or Cal-Nev apprenticeships. I know of kids who have waited years as a groundman and still yet to get an apprenticeship. Obviously best he can do is apply and get an interview etc...I work for a rural Co-op, we are IBEW affliated, but not directly ran, but i still have my A ticket if i decide to chase storm or contract again. . We just hired a groundman who spent 3 years in Cal-Nev as a groundman contracting all over, hoping for an apprenticeship and never got called up, so he left to try and finally get on his journeyman way. Cant blame him for not waiting longer, and he is a damn good hand.
Plenty of ways to go about getting your JL ticket, IBEW is good if you want to travel and contract a bunch and make money, which is great for younger guys, for me, I got into linework in my late 20s, and was over moving all over like i did for decade guiding; so after working for a helicopter linework outfit for a year, i got on with the local co-op and went through my apprenticeship without having to haul a trailer all over the west.

49ereric

WKR
Currently pretty hard to get into the MSLCAT or Cal-Nev apprenticeships. I know of kids who have waited years as a groundman and still yet to get an apprenticeship. Obviously best he can do is apply and get an interview etc...I work for a rural Co-op, we are IBEW affliated, but not directly ran, but i still have my A ticket if i decide to chase storm or contract again. . We just hired a groundman who spent 3 years in Cal-Nev as a groundman contracting all over, hoping for an apprenticeship and never got called up, so he left to try and finally get on his journeyman way. Cant blame him for not waiting longer, and he is a damn good hand.
Plenty of ways to go about getting your JL ticket, IBEW is good if you want to travel and contract a bunch and make money, which is great for younger guys, for me, I got into linework in my late 20s, and was over moving all over like i did for decade guiding; so after working for a helicopter linework outfit for a year, i got on with the local co-op and went through my apprenticeship without having to haul a trailer all over the west.
My friend in 160 local just passed up going to Florida for storm repair. Guarantied double time 7 days a week and 16 hour days.
I’d say do whatever it takes to get the union card but I am glad I did what I had to and got the local 49 card. 160 wages and annuity are much better though.
I applied with a small union company and got my card and avoided apprenticeship.

OP
Carr5vols

Carr5vols

WKR

He said he would like to stay in the mountains. Thank you for the offer that means a lot.

Have your boy join a Union and work his way up to Journeyman or Master Electrician(about 10-15 years from apprentice). Once he's a journeyman or Master he shouldn't have a problem starting his own business

If he is interested in Colorado, or Southern Wyoming, I can set him up with an interview at the company I work for, non union merit shop, but we pay consistently as well or better than the CO union. Not lineman work, but he is early in his career, so he isn't locked into it yet. We do large commercial and industrial projects all over CO and southern WY, and have a backlog for years.

Okhotnik

WKR
He is good with it. He thinks his generation is full of weak individuals and he loves " to suffer" as he puts it. Says it makes him a more mentally strong person.

He is very tight with his money. He still drives a 2000 truck he bought 3 years ago even though he is making good money here.
he'll do alright with that attitude!!

OP
Carr5vols

Carr5vols

WKR
If he is interested in Colorado, or Southern Wyoming, I can set him up with an interview at the company I work for, non union merit shop, but we pay consistently as well or better than the CO union. Not lineman work, but he is early in his career, so he isn't locked into it yet. We do large commercial and industrial projects all over CO and southern WY, and have a backlog for years.
Let me talk to him tonight.