Electrical Contractor Opportunities for Son

Carr5vols

WKR
Hey Rokslide my son has been working for an electrical contractor here in Georgia 1.75 years and has his Lineman certification. I consider him a good worker compared to people his age and mine. Never missed a day of work and tries his hardest every day. He has got the itch to move west. Anyone know any contractors hiring in the west. THANK YOU.

Mountain Power. Based out of Idaho. Contracted in ID, MT and WY.
Who knows where he will work but it will be building and replacing lines, poles etc in the interior west.

OP
Carr5vols

Carr5vols

WKR
Who knows where he will work but it will be building and replacing lines, poles etc in the interior west.
He dont care where he ends up just as long as its the west. Thanks for the reply.

cnelk

WKR
My son (25yr old) is working as a Commercial Field Electrician for Tesla for western Colorado.
He services the 900volt Supercharger stations and drives a Tesla as a work vehicle.

Making bank.

mntnguide

WKR
Hey Rokslide my son has been working for an electrical contractor here in Georgia 1.75 years and has his Lineman certification. I consider him a good worker compared to people his age and mine. Never missed a day of work and tries his hardest every day. He has got the itch to move west. Anyone know any contractors hiring in the west. THANK YOU.
Is he a journeyman or an apprentice? Basically every company in the west is hiring journeyman. Cost of living is so high that it's hard to get lineman.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sherman

WKR
Has he been a journeyman for 1.75 years or did he finish his apprenticeship in 1.75 years? If it is the latter, I can’t imagine anyone hiring him as a journeyman lineman since 99% of apprenticeships last 4 years meaning his apprenticeship will not be recognized by any reputable company.

mntnguide

WKR
He would have to be an IBEW lineman to get on with mountain power.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
Carr5vols

Carr5vols

WKR
Thanks for the input all. He has a Electrical Lineworker Certification and has since worked 1.75 years at a Georgia contractor. Class A license. I am guessing he is an apprentice dont know much about this field totally different than mine.
He comes in talking about terminating, running drill, mini x's, etc. Been sent to multiple states to work storms over that time period.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Utility I work for in AZ has the most amount of external bids for lineman, I have ever seen. Job market seems wide open right now but could be slowing down here soon. Our construction has slowed significantly over the last few months with less on the horizon. If I were him, I'd move sooner than later. Pretty easy process to get hired if he has a union ticket.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately the most money to be made is in the least desirable states to live in. If he doesn’t have a family then I would head to cali. There is some bank to be made down there. A jl can live comfortably of a utility wage anywhere tho. There are opening all over. Just have to start traveling and get a good name in the trade. Yeah for the union if he goes to the northwest he may have to take the journeyman test here to be considered a jl.

WRO

WKR
Nonunion currently.

If he's willing, he'd be set for life after 5 weeks. Employers line up around the block to sponsor students in their union program.

Jimbee

WKR

If he's willing, he'd be set for life after 5 weeks. Employers line up around the block to sponsor students in their union program.
A person would still have to go through a 4ish year apprenticeship to become an IBEW Journeyman Lineman. (A well paid apprenticeship.)

OP
Carr5vols

Carr5vols

WKR

He did a 14 or15 week lineman program at one of the schoools here in GA. Thanks to the Georgia Hope Scholarship it was free. He can get jobs around here he just wants to move west and be in or near mountains.

Okhotnik

WKR
as mentioned dit is very expensive out west. Much more than Georgia. How is he working long days in snow and ice stormsand some sub zero temps