Electricians and Motörhead’s needed!

Kindo

WKR
Looking to build a DIY crate fan for my pup and from my reading, a 7” or 9” radiator fan appears to be my best bet. My problem is, I’m looking for low amp draw (1.5-3amps) with 350-550 cfm. I’m okay with a single speed but a two-speed fan would be best. The radiator fans I’ve found state a 4.5amp draw but I can’t find if that’s max upon start up or average draw while running.

The product I’m trying to produce is similar to this: https://www.prairielogic.com/products/pjc0q9c8nn4wckdluxowjzqwrui7w6

Any ideas or pointers would be much appreciated as I’m electrically illiterate.

Edit: to add some additional info which is most likely helpful.

Looking for:
12V DC to plug into cig outlet
Low amp usage (1.5-3amps)
1 or 2-speed
7 or 9 inches in size

Last edited:

GotDraw?

WKR
that may be too much fan and too loud for an extended period.
Try pulling the one from your vehicle, then jumper it to your battery so it's on, then put it next to your head and see how much you like listening to it.

Sorry I can't suggest an alternative.

JL

It certainly is not used for this type of thing normally, but a Fantastic Vent would give you a bit bigger fan, at least three speeds, move more air, meet your consumption requirements, and certainly be quiet enough.

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
Thanks for the input everyone.

One other thing I forgot to mention is I’d really like to have the ability to fabricate something to attach this fan directly to the front door of the crate. This may end up being a case where I just bite the bullet and buy what’s already available...

Why not a larger computer fan. You can add a potentiometer for speed. They come prepped with mounting holes. Some are waterproof. Usually not very costly.

Buzby

WKR
A buddy and I are working on the same project. So far we have a 9” fan off of amazon. And a pulse width modulator (pwm) for speed control. The pwm should allow less power consumption than a potentiometer at lower speeds. We’re working on a baffle, as the fan does not seem to move much air without one. What type of kennel are you running?

That amp draw is max amp while running, not start-up amps. I wouldn't really worry about start-up amps. On some electric motors it's like 9x max amp but the period is so short. Just don't cycle it on and off a bunch in quick succession.

My buddy built one of these into his topper for early prairie chickens. I think he used more of a large computer fan. He rarely uses it because if it's too hot for a dog to be in the back it's too hot to be hunting chickens. And usually he just leaves the topper windor/door thing open if we're hunting or getting lunch or otherwise taking it easy and not hunting because of heat.

I would look at computer fans, they make some bigger ones that should work fine for what you are trying to do. And they will all be low amp draw. But as far as you seeing the fan saying it has a 4.5 amp draw that is going to refer to standard draw when it's running

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

fordcappy

FNG
I second the computer fan. I owned a Honda Element at one point with the dog package installed in it, one of the accessories was a fan and when I looked at the actual fan it was a beefy computer fan that moved the air very well.