Electrolyte Options

jmcd22

WKR
I would suggest anything that comes in a stick pack for lightweight options. Last year I used quart bags for each days food and supplements and the stick packs work perfectly for that. I personally use Wilderness Athlete but there are plenty out there. Trace Minerals is another good one that often gets overlooked. They act very much like an Emergen-c as well. I take the Power Pak almost daily.

EDIT: The Trace Mineral packs are very lightweight and mix with 2-3oz water if that's important to you.

twall13

WKR
Mostly Nuun tablets for me, although I really like Wilderness Athlete Hydrate and Recover as well. Nuun tablets are much cheaper so I tend to go with those, they also take up very little space. Both help me with leg cramps and I use them year round, not just while backpacking.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Emergen-C Electromix with WA Hydrate & Recover works very well. A couple years ago my buddy and I got back to camp and he was so cramped up he couldn't even straighten his fingers. I mixed up the electromix with the H&R and after drinking it he was fine within 20 minutes. He's now a believer as well.

I just use Pedialyte
Most of my mountaineers swear by Nuun
My pro-athletes are all sponsored by different companies. It's hard to get a straight answer about what they choose.
If I tolerated dairy I would use Momentous RedShift. I think right now they have purest, no BS products on the market.

Last edited:
pedialyte powder.... doesn’t taste the best but if you go to the doctor with cramps/dehydration, other than an IV, that is what they will suggest.

Salt tablets. Surprised? There is almost no loss of potassium in sweat, but huge losses of salt. Salt tablets and regular foods restore electrolytes in the field...for me. Damn near free and easy to use and carry.

Isn't that what Mountain House is for, while in the field? ;)

As long as you eat MH while you are hiking. :)

I started researching this again (after being a long time salt tablet user) after listening to a "Hunting Fitness" dietitian Kyle Kamp, who spoke on a Hunt Backcountry podcast with the Exo guys. Though I knew salt tabs worked for me, his podcast helped me understand better that the electrolytes in sweat are far more salt than anything else. Sweat loss has almost no effect on potassium and magnesium. I started taking salt tabs in 1972 after touring a US Navy ship, where they had dispensers all over topside.

Linked here:

Last edited:
You are getting plenty of electrolytes from your food unless you are in a very hot and humid climate. Think a Mtn house 3 serving has 2000+ mg sodium, plus all the other salty snacks you are eating like nuts, cheese, cured meats, chips... You can add another electrolyte product but I doubt it's needed. Pedialyte actually looks better than I expected, with good numbers of for Potassium. I would go with Advanced Care +. You also need calcium and Magnesium, these are easily obtained from a Rolaids antacid tablet or two.

mtnkid85

WKR
Nunn tablets on occasion, my wife loves them so we always have them on hand.
I really like the Hammer Endurolyte pills, they've brought me back from laying on the ground crying and clutching my siezed up legs to running again in minutes! Real life savers.
Backpacking Ill also throw in one of the emergenC packets in hot water to sip on at night.

If you don't mind the fizzy-ness, Emergin-C works well and can be found in bulk at Costco for cheaper than most of the name brand electrolyte stuff.

Curious what everyone is using for electrolyte replenishment on backpacking trips? Powders, tablets, chews etc? Looking for something healthy, light and fast for cramp prevention.
I have really liked using Nuun tablets. Easy to carry and lots of flavors. There are even some with caffeine

Sock

FNG
I would recommend checking out a company called fluid sports nutrition, https://store.livefluid.com/.

They are based towards more endurance sports (distance running, triathlons, etc). I have enjoyed the flavors, not too sweet and just right.

I recommend the passion fruit tea (with caffeine) and the chocolate recovery.

Out of convenience and trying to eliminate micro plastics from single use pouches I'll fill a zip lock with "fluid" or grab a tube of nuuns.

Tailwind also a great carb source! The caffeine version is like pretty awesome at 1pm and you need a jump start.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I starting using Hammer Endurolyte tabs about 6-7 years ago when I started doing trail ultras; I still use them, but instead of ~ 1/hour running it's more like two to three a day hunting