Electrolyte Options

Wapiti16

FNG
I've always used WA Hydrate & Recover. May try some Tailwind this year.

Has anyone tested the new MTN Ops STM Electrolytes? They're in a powdered state, in a tiny pouch, and you just pour them in your mouth. Could be a good quick option to add to your daily food bags. No need to mix with water.

Mesplay

FNG
I'm a fan of WA Hydrate and Recover, use it daily at home , keep several packets in my pack out west!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Take a look at Tailwind Nutrition products, this comes from endurance industry and they not only have hydration and calorie packs they now have recovery packets. Flavors are all great and not so in your face strong and best of all they dissolve really well and don't stain your bladder. I have been using their stuff a few years now both working out and hunting.

I really like the Nuun tabs. I use them all summer just day to day. Try to get as much as you from you foods as well.

Whatever you choose, make sure to try it way ahead of time. You have to like it or you won't want it on a trip.

kjd0323

FNG
I bought the Propel single serve packets and also the gatorade gatorlyte packets. I threw 2 packets of Propel mix and 2 packets of the Gatorlyte into a Platypus and tried to drink one full flask (2L) per day. It was dirt cheap and worked well for me. I was on the keto diet for my hunt last fall so I this was the combination that I found to have the highest amount of electrolytes per serving. It was also convenient and lightweight since they both come in little packets so I just packed 2 of each in my ziploc food bag per day.
How did keto workout, how long was you out?

kjd0323

FNG
I liked it. I was on it for about 8 months. One advantage in the backcountry was I didn't get hungry and I was able to pack a lot less weight per day than my brother. Also no bonking.
Nice, I'm gonna try again it again I suppose.

Fatcamp

WKR
Nuun tablets. Pedialyte. Really only use them when extreme temperatures are going on. Food handles it well enough most of the time.

grizz19

Lil-Rokslider
My hunting partner and I use liquid IV and have had great luck with it. Always have a couple packets in my pack. I have been very boarder line crampy and popped one of those and within minutes I was feeling better.

As long as you eat MH while you are hiking. :)

I started researching this again (after being a long time salt tablet user) after listening to a "Hunting Fitness" dietitian Kyle Kamp, who spoke on a Hunt Backcountry podcast with the Exo guys. Though I knew salt tabs worked for me, his podcast helped me understand better that the electrolytes in sweat are far more salt than anything else. Sweat loss has almost no effect on potassium and magnesium. I started taking salt tabs in 1972 after touring a US Navy ship, where they had dispensers all over topside.

Linked here:
Thanks so much for the vote of confidence, Mike! I'm glad the podcast was helpful and I appreciate you passing the guide on to the other folks in the group here. Thanks again!