Electrolyte/Recovery/Mental Focus Supps

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Saw a couple folks list these in the food thread, and not wanting to highjack, figured I’d start fresh.

Who packs them, and of those that do, what are favorite or dreaded brands/flavors? I usually bring salt-stick tabs to replenish electrolytes, but can see the merit in some of the supplements out there for sure. I use BCAAs and pre/post work-out supplements for training days, especially heavy days, and admit some of the most taxing days I’ve experienced are those 18-20 hour days where your coming back to camp loaded full and in the dark. So if ever a time where any benefit is welcomed, that would seem to be it.

I just haven’t tried any that are marketed towards hunters and was going to just bring a baggie of my normal supps along till I saw a nifty bag of individual packs at Sportsmans Warehouse so figured worth asking folks who may have tried them.
Thanks in advance for any insight.

neut

FNG
Had issues with cramping and soreness a couple years back. I picked up a bunch of "Biosteel" Hydration single serve packets. I rationed a couple per day last season and I think they helped a lot with muscle soreness/recovery. I have only tried the mixed berry and watermelon flavors and they are decent.

C Bow

WKR
Wilderness Athlete energy and focus and hydrate and recover have been a life saver for me as at 64 years old it is hard to recover like when I was young

Emergen-C in various flavors keeps me going on backpack hunts. I like the lemon lime, orange, raspberry and cranberry pomegranate and cramp-up at night without it. Formerly used Gatorade powder but like Emergen's individual packets and think it does a better job of warding off cramps for me.

tdot

WKR
Wilderness Athlete Energy and Focus plus Hydrate and Recover along with the same protein powders and vitamins that I typically take.

It has become more important for me to continue to use the same products/food that my body is used to. Mentally and physically this is much easier on my system. So I dont add in anything different that I havent already been consuming for atleast a month or two before.

Emergen c, nuun tablets, propel packets, Walmart brand packets, mio bottles. All make a difference and I always have some in my truck or in my pack. I usually take something mid day and then again at end of day

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

oenanthe

WKR
I don't pack any supplements. They are not needed. There's plenty of electrolytes and vitamins in my food already.

There's a few pills in my 1st aid kit; rarely used.

OP
Wildwillalaska

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Snyd—that sounds like most my hard hiking days, close anyway. Try to drink over a gallon of water a day year round, on bike hike days it’s easier, and living most my life as a fat kid, knees are super strong but boy do they ache, so Advil and I are well acquainted. Take less now than ever before, but big days and certainly mountain hunts, couple in the morning and three at night certainly helps.

I’ll have to give the Wilderness Athlete a try.

I don't know if they help me, but I know when I use the WA H&R and E&F, I tend to drink more water on a trip and that helps a lot. I like the flavor and it seems to help, so I think carrying a little extra weight along helps.

Wilderness Athlete
Nuun
Emergen-C

It was a game-changer for me when I first started using electrolytes. I haven't found any brand to be significantly better than the other. I like to support companies that support hunting, but sometimes it's nice to grab it at the grocery store too.

Don’t buy into the gimmicks of needing supplements targeted for hunters I.e. Wildnerness Athelete and Mountain Ops. Nothing they produce is any better for a hunter than what other companies are making for athletes or exercise enthusiasts. The main difference is those “hunter geared supplements” cost more and typically perform less. Save your money.

Electrolyte replacement can be accomplished by eating what is already included in your meals/snacks for the day or if more is needed do some research and see what is out there and how each brand differs.

Not all supplements are the same. Not all sugars used in the supplements are the same. Sugars used is probably the biggest NEGATIVE difference between supplements. Avoid SIMPLE sugars (glucose, sucrose, fructose and other mono or di-saccharide carbohydrates). Most are simply fillers and don’t get absorbed/processed adequately for your body to appropriately use. Instead look for polysaccharide carbohydrates. The most endurance oriented sports are Marathons, Triathlons and Cycling. Base your research on companies that support those sports and you will find quality supplements with good data. Obviously they all aren’t equally as good, but it’s the best place to start in my opinion.

Of the many I have tried I prefer the following:

eGels by Cranks Sports
Carborocket
Skratch
SiS (Science in Sport)
Nuun
fLuid Performance by Live Fluid
Gu Roctane

All have pros and cons but are on the upper end of reputable supplements with data to support clams from what I have found, Once again, this is only what I have tried and would recommend. There are definitely others out there but be cautious and do your research. Just because it’s camouflaged and says “for hunters” on it doesn’t mean squat.

In the end, you have to find what works for you. Some supplements can cause terrible bloating others have poor taste and some are to difficult to size down for a backpacking trip. Unfortunately some trial and error is required to see what works best. These are just my opinions from personnel use. Just do your reasearch.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I find it funny that people pack supplements hunting, a bit of chocolate, more water,
Maybe Some scotch when settling in back at camp, lots of coffee.....sure, but these companies make it sound like you can’t hunt unless you’re #focused.....

mcseal2

WKR
I was not a believer in supplements for a long time. Now I take a Wilderness Athlete Energy and Focus in the afternoon. It helps me stay alert and hunt or glass more effectively. Each evening before bed I take a Hydrate and Recover. I think it helps with cramping and getting my body ready for morning. The taste of them isn’t great so I usually drink them fast.

Even if the benefit is only in my head, it’s two times a day I will definitely drink a 16oz nalgene. Especially hunting in cold weather I don’t feel thirsty and have to watch it so I don’t get behind on hydration. That guaranteed water intake is good for me even if the supplement does nothing. I do think they help me hunt more effectively though.

I haven’t hunted sheep so take my advice for what its worth. I use them on elk and muley hunts.

Troutnut

FNG
Like a lot of others here, I really like Wilderness Athlete Hydrate & Recover. I don't know if I'd like the taste well enough to drink it at home, but it tastes like the best drink ever when I really need it.

Braaap

WKR
My favorite is LMNT Recharge. Citrus salt is my favorite flavor. No sugar, tastes great.

I like the Mtn Ops Enduro Trail Packs in the Raspberry Flavor. Put one packet in a full 32 oz Nalgene and I consume it within hours. Don't have any issues with cramping and I like the flavor of it and that leads to me drinking the water that is much needed to hydrate my body. These are light and take up little space in the pack on 10+ day backcountry hunts. Sure beats drinking plain water but to each their own.

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
Nuun tablets.. Try them and you'll get it..

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk