Electrolytes

So I was using LMNT the last 2 years and really liked them, but they're expensive. I found a similar salty electrolyte called Re-lyte. It's considerably cheaper at $39.00 for 60 servings, but is a bulk keg.

I looked on here and a few backpacking sites to see how people were repackaging loose powders for pack transport. I didn't want to use the Columbian envelopes, so I used large straws and welded the ends shut.

Anyone else doing something similar to get things packaged securely but efficiently? 20220926_111857.jpg

grfox92

WKR
I use the propel mix from Walmart. Its the only time I drink anything with artificial sweetener but I feel the benefit outweighs any risk.

I'm amazed at how much better I feel drinking a propel after pounding ground in the mountains. I don't hunt without it anymore.

I looked at LMNT and liquid IV but man that stuff is expensive and propel worms fine. I was planning on looking for something better that won't break the bank after this season.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

OP
C
I had the propel and liked it. But decided to try LMNT and really liked the watermelon salt.

Well last year we had a hurricane and I was tarping roofs for family and neighbors. South LA with 90 degree temps and ridiculous humidity on asphalt roofs. No stores open in the area, but I had some LMNTs in my pantry still. I was on the edge of passing out and had been pounding water and Gatorade I brought with me from Houston. The salts were a gamechanger and made a believer out of me.

I used the remainder of them over the next few days and when I went to reorder, I decided to research other salts and found Re-Lyte. I find it just as effective as LMNT. Been using it exclusively several times a week after pretty intense cardio.

My issue was packing it. I thought about baggies, but worried about them holding up in my pack.

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I buy the Pedialyte sachets. There was a post I read on another forum about making your own electrolyte powder with a certain mixture of salt/magnesium/glucose.

I am always careful with electrolyte powders because some of them have vitamins that give you a boost in energy and at times I will drink my electrolytes before bed and want to sleep.

TheHammer

WKR
I really like the mountain ops stm electrolytes, I mix mine in water. Use them almost daily and no packaging headaches with these. Otherwise with other things I use little baggies. That straw idea is impressive

Gatorade and bottled Sports drinks are worthless, mite as well just dump sugar in water. For me the best has ben Pedilite. It is formulated for kids, so it is easier to digest and absorb.

tony

WKR
I don't know the size of bag you need. WM has zip lock pill packs in the pharmacy isle and there are "snack" sized bags as well.
I've used Nuun tabs in the past.
Everybody raves on the liquid IV things

Tex_F15

FNG
Salt pills will do the same thing at 1/4 of the price and much easier to pack.

That being said OP, where did you find the oversized straws? Just the standard Amazon special? Good idea for travel creatine packs.

IdahoElk

WKR
When I hike in distances that would make Cam Hanes cry and a Bull is bugling 2k vert above me I just reach in my pack and pull out a Brawndo, next thing I'm about to close the deal on another 450 bull.
Brawndo, it's got Electrolytes!

VkH8a80.png

OP
C
Salt pills will do the same thing at 1/4 of the price and much easier to pack.

That being said OP, where did you find the oversized straws? Just the standard Amazon special? Good idea for travel creatine packs.
It's milkshake straws. Local grocery store. 20220926_111812.jpg

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
It absolutely boggles my mind how much people pay for salt. It's one of the cheapest substances in any grocery store. I just fill a baggie with pink Himalayan salt and add No Salt (potassium chloride) and maybe throw in some magnesium for good measure. Every time I fill up my water bladder I'll throw a pinch of it in and call it good.

Scarier

FNG
Man, I'm sad it took 13 posts to get an Idiocracy reference... The heat-sealed straw trick is interesting! I'll have to try it sometime. I've mostly been using bulk Skratch powder in zip-loc bags (yes, it's messy) and salt pills like Hammer Endurolytes...