Electronic In Ear Hearing Protection Recommendations

BigSky

WKR
Yes, I know I already posted this on another forum but that got sidetracked into a "suppressors are better" thread. So, I figured I would try this one. My intent isn't for this to be a in-ear electric vs foam vs over the head vs. etc. for hearing protection. I am seeking any electronic in-ear hearing protection device recommendations. Like I said, my desire is to not have this thread drift off into "well I use foam" and "I use passive" or "I use a a suppressor or a combination of foam and passive at the range" ad infinitum. I would specifically like personal recommendations based on personal experiences of individuals with respect to in ear , electronic hearing protection only. I've seen a few here and there; but, I thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to these specific devices.

I will start from my own experience. I have and have had for a couple of years the Walker's Silencer (non blue tooth). I am not impressed. When they do work, I am impressed. However, after owning about half a dozen pairs of these I have come to learn that my multiple exchanges of these has probably not been because of "faulty" devices; rather, it has been because they devour batteries like a bum devours a baloney sandwich. So far, based on what research I have done, I am leaning towards the Otto Noizebarrier

I am going to be buying replacements as I am done with Walkers Silencer version. I would appreciate the input from others as to either what works for them/you or which you believe are brands to avoid. Thanks in advance.

I used soundgear instant fit last year and they seem like a good value. I want to buck up for custom molded ones eventually. A little bit of too little too late though, my hearing is already shot

willidru

WKR
I use ESP dynamics expensive, but sound quality is really good. Key is to make sure your molds are fit otherwise you can end up getting feedback when your moving.

ElPollo

WKR
I’ve looked the Ottos, and there’s a lot to like if they do what they say they will. The rechargeable option is nice, but I question the NRR # of 40 dB because it’s higher than you see with most muffs (28-30 dB). If I remember right, the Ottos come with two types of plugs and one is supposed to give you more protection than the other. Maybe. I talked with my audiologist about this, and there is some variation in how different companies measure NRR.

I have the SoundGear custom fit Platinums and love them. The electronic in-the-ear plugs don’t get in the way like muffs do. Ever hit the muff on the comb of your stock and ring your ear when the gun goes off? Won’t happen with the plugs. You also don’t forget to put them on like you do with muffs. They are more comfortable so you just wear them. The electronic amplification also helps me hear stuff that I wouldn’t otherwise. I can hear quail calling 2-3x further away with them on and running.

Downsides? Yeah, first off they kinda wear me out. If you are running them turned up, they amplify everything but stuff over the threshold. All the background noise makes me tired after a while. Wear them for 8 hours of desert hiking with a bird dog, and you’ll appreciate taking them out.

Also talk to the manufacturer about directional hearing with those plugs. Some of these are better than others at this. My Sound Gear plugs have the mics in each unit pointed forward, so I can’t tell what direction the sound is coming from. I think that is critically important.

The tone in mine is rather high on the treble. They are Bluetooth compatible to my phone, but I’ve never hooked them up. Can’t imagine listening to music would be all that pleasant.

The batteries are a pain but I get a week out of a set and they are cheaper than going deaf. I would wonder how much life you would get out of the rechargeable and charging case set up. If I’m doing a week away from any charging options, I can carry more batteries. If that thing runs out, what do you do?

Cost is another big one. I spent $650 on the SoundGear plugs through an audiologist ~50% less than the price on their web site. That’s a lot, but I consider it the best $$ I ever spent and will hopefully never fire another gun without protection.

All things considered, I highly recommend getting the electronic plugs if you need them. It was bird hunting that finally made me do it. I go through a lot of 12 gauge in a good year, but I need to be able to hear my hunting partners and dogs. That said I wear them for big game hunting too and get the same benefits and drawbacks.

Good luck. If you have other questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.

PlanoDano

FNG
following, you may have saved me some money already as I was about to pull the trigger on some pro ear buds.

Aporia

FNG
Yes, I know I already posted this on another forum but that got sidetracked into a "suppressors are better" thread. So, I figured I would try this one. My intent isn't for this to be a in-ear electric vs foam vs over the head vs. etc. for hearing protection. I am seeking any electronic in-ear hearing protection device recommendations. Like I said, my desire is to not have this thread drift off into "well I use foam" and "I use passive" or "I use a a suppressor or a combination of foam and passive at the range" ad infinitum. I would specifically like personal recommendations based on personal experiences of individuals with respect to in ear , electronic hearing protection only. I've seen a few here and there; but, I thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to these specific devices.

I will start from my own experience. I have and have had for a couple of years the Walker's Silencer (non blue tooth). I am not impressed. When they do work, I am impressed. However, after owning about half a dozen pairs of these I have come to learn that my multiple exchanges of these has probably not been because of "faulty" devices; rather, it has been because they devour batteries like a bum devours a baloney sandwich. So far, based on what research I have done, I am leaning towards the Otto Noizebarrier

I am going to be buying replacements as I am done with Walkers Silencer version. I would appreciate the input from others as to either what works for them/you or which you believe are brands to avoid. Thanks in advance.
How would you compare the sound amplification to the Howard Leight Impact Sport ear muffs?

Those are my gold standard for sound amplified hearing protection but I am also looking for an in-ear solution for the same reason that certain stock combs and the cheek weld required aren't compatible with ear muffs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
Well, here's my .02! I have the sound gear non-platinums and wasn't impressed. So, after reading the reviews, I sprung for some Otto noizebarriers. This morning is the first time I used them and they were worse than the Sound Gear in terms of not decreasing gun blast. Now, I might have not inserted them properly, but my first shot with a .17 Rem. still has my ears ringing this afternoon. I'm going to try them a bit more and see if things get better, but at this point I haven't found any 'in the ear' models that do as well as my Howard Leight muffs. I may just end up using the muffs and putting up with their shortcomings.

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
I have been using a pair Etymotic GSP-15's since 2015. I shoot in rifle competitions and have shot 1000's of round with them on. They are good. I use the grey foam cylindrical inserts. Roll the insert and put it on your ear and they will expand. I'd buy another pair if this pair dies.

Wore over the ear electronic muffs for years but got tired of them bc the pressure points as well as not being able to wear a hat and how bulky they are plus the batteries were expensive and big. So I went custom westone defendear. Luckily I work with audiologists and got them at cost. Not cheap but awesome. I leave them in an entire hunt. I use them weekly at trap league. Only think I wished is that they were Bluetooth so I could use them to listen to music while mowing the lawn etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lintond

WKR
I purchased the Tetra alpha shields to use for upland, waterfowl, and maybe big game (I’ve since replaced my brake with a suppressor). Love them for shotgunning as I was quickly going to be a deaf young man. My favorite part compared to my electric muffs is that non-hunting sounds are cancelled out. Hated when they’d make the scratching sound as my jacket rubbed or my feet walking through corn stubble. They cost me a few pennies but it was money well spent.

ElPollo

WKR
Well, here's my .02! I have the sound gear non-platinums and wasn't impressed. So, after reading the reviews, I sprung for some Otto noizebarriers. This morning is the first time I used them and they were worse than the Sound Gear in terms of not decreasing gun blast. Now, I might have not inserted them properly, but my first shot with a .17 Rem. still has my ears ringing this afternoon. I'm going to try them a bit more and see if things get better, but at this point I haven't found any 'in the ear' models that do as well as my Howard Leight muffs. I may just end up using the muffs and putting up with their shortcomings.
Not saying you didn’t. But I’ve never had this problem with my custom fit SoundGear Platinums.

ElPollo

WKR
I purchased the Tetra alpha shields to use for upland, waterfowl, and maybe big game (I’ve since replaced my brake with a suppressor). Love them for shotgunning as I was quickly going to be a deaf young man. My favorite part compared to my electric muffs is that non-hunting sounds are cancelled out. Hated when they’d make the scratching sound as my jacket rubbed or my feet walking through corn stubble. They cost me a few pennies but it was money well spent.

The noise cancelling option would be a really good thing if it works well. It made me do a little looking at these. I wish you could try these things out before you buy. They are pricey, but you may be able to find them through an audiologist for a discount. One thing I noticed about them was the NRR was on the lower end at 20 dB. I don’t know how consistent these numbers are between manufacturers, but it’s worth considering if you are the sort of guy who wants to shoot really concussive, breaked magnums with short barrels.

I would also point out that none of the options we have for ear pro are a panacea, and you can still get ear damage while using them in some situations. There was an article a while back about PRS shooters suffering hearing loss from shooting breaked guns through those culverts. If you are in a situation where your surroundings, your break, or both are directing sound waves back to you, those waves can still cause hearing damage through your facial bones. It’s a pretty good argument for suppressors. I have yet to go that route due to the cost, weight, and regulatory PITA, but it got me thinking about it.

Lookout85

FNG
I have been using sound gear for almost 10 years. Love them. comfortable, durable, reliable.

kloppy

FNG
I'll defend the Otto's here, I love them but did have to upgrade the foam insert because I apparently have a tiny ear canal. Custom's are of course the way to go if you are willing or able to afford them.

Boreal

WKR
Oh man, I see this is going to cost me some money. Thanks for all the info, people. I'm 51, and have been wearing hearing aids for 5 years after a lot of shooting rifles and shotguns in my youth. The only good advice I have for the younger generation is to do your stretching and core exercises, and protect your hearing.

I’ve been using sordin pro x muffs for my raange ear pro for a number of years and got some Otto noizebarriers this spring as I had a bunch of yard/chainsaw work and I hate wearing the muffs while working in the heat.

The sound is a little more natural than my sordin muffs. I got some aftermarket ear buds from Amazon for a tighter fit. Battery life seems pretty decent. They do not muffle sound as well as muffs and I would not use them as dedicated range ear pro but I do prefer them for use when active. My understanding is inside the ear will never be able to reduce db like a good muff. I plan to use them hunting with aggressively braked magnum rifles as they will work at least as well as quickly jammed in horseshoe around the neck plugs I used previously.