Electronic Predator Calls

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I've been kicking around the idea of picking up an electronic call and am seeking input as to which one i should look for as well as what to look for in said call. I am wanting to use this to start getting after the wolves (or at least try) and coyotes. I know fox pros are the gold standard but if there is something just as good for less money I'd be interested to hear about it. (Not meant to be a classified add but I might interested in a lightly abused one.)

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
You can make your own for under $50. There’s youtube videos on how to do it. That’s what I did before getting a foxpro. Hard part is getting all the sounds you want.

Hand calls also work just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
Use a waterproof outdoor speaker with Bluetooth. There are tones of cheap/ free predator apps available. Use your phone.

I started with a Johnny Stewart and moved onto the FoxPro Shockwave. Fox Pros are great, if you pick one out, get one with the full color screen remote.

horniac

FNG
Use a waterproof outdoor speaker with Bluetooth. There are tones of cheap/ free predator apps available. Use your phone.
I tried this. Had to be within 20 yards or so to connect to the speaker and couldn’t get enough volume for calling out west. I could barely hear some of the sounds. I bought two cheap apps; one didn’t loop the sounds and the other had only one sound you could hear when sitting 20 yards from the speaker.

When I got home I bought a Foxpro Hammerjack on a Black Friday sale. Great caller problem solved...

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
I tried this. Had to be within 20 yards or so to connect to the speaker and couldn’t get enough volume for calling out west. I could barely hear some of the sounds. I bought two cheap apps; one didn’t loop the sounds and the other had only one sound you could hear when sitting 20 yards from the speaker.

When I got home I bought a Foxpro Hammerjack on a Black Friday sale. Great caller problem solved...
Fox pro are the ticket for sure and love mine. I live / hunt the north west and have called coyotes with everything under the sun, there are more inexpensive ways to do it than a fox pro. Fyi you don't NEED to have your E caller 50-100 yds away( mouth calls work well and they are " attached" to your face....super high volume is also not needed coyotes hear really well..real rabbits and mice in distress can't be heard in the next county. I agree you need a decent app and clear sound. The ones I use are predator pro and coyote hunting app. They are not my every day purpose call of choice but they do work great for those on the way home from work call set ups when you don't have your kit handy. Do they replace a fox pro? No but if your not sure e calling is for you it's a cheap way to try it out and most likely you already have the components to give it a try

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
Foxpro makes a few calls in the $100-200 range..imo if you’re trying to go cheaper than that you can but it’s not going to last or be dependable when you need it. I know the feeling of having a cheap call not okay the sound I pressed or not working at all when I’ve made a stand.

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
Do you already have hand/mouth calls?

A nice hand call is great to have and I keep one in my truck year round for impromptu hunts. The foxpro only comes put when I’m planning to predator hunt. I bring a diaphragm call along with me too when using the e caller incase I want to make a specific noise without taking my eyes pff the target or any movement.

I still stand by what I said earlier and what most others in this thread are saying. If you’re getting an ecaller then get a foxpro. Knowing what I know now however, I would get a nice hand call and a motion decoy over just a foxpro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I have hand calls, I want to get an e-caller to start calling wolves. I dont mind spending a couple hundred bucks, but I'm not ready to dump $400 for the new Fusion. Thanks for your input guys.

Are you guys a fan of the little electric flappy decoys? There's a foxpro that has one built into the speaker wondering if thats a worthwhile feature. I'm of the mindset that it can't hurt.

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
I have hand calls, I want to get an e-caller to start calling wolves. I dont mind spending a couple hundred bucks, but I'm not ready to dump $400 for the new Fusion. Thanks for your input guys.
I have two hand blown wolf calls. One is a closed reed made by rocky mountain and one is a diaphragm call made by Jonny Stuart. Both work well for calling in the coyotes big brother. I use the howler and a Elk distress moose distress deer distress mouth calls. Might be a cheaper option to look at

I have a Foxpro Inferno that’s on the cheaper end of their lineup and it has worked well for me. I found a reseller on ebay that had good pricing.

Are you guys a fan of the little electric flappy decoys? There's a foxpro that has one built into the speaker wondering if thats a worthwhile feature. I'm of the mindset that it can't hurt.
They work well on bobcats and some coyotes. I’ve also seen coyotes run away from them. We only use them on cat stands now.

They work well on bobcats and some coyotes. I’ve also seen coyotes run away from them. We only use them on cat stands now.

Any other decoys that you guys have found work well with coyotes? I used to have a dog that loved getting in fights with coyotes. They'd come running with no second thought to what might happen when they'd see him but the old boy has long passed and my current pup has no smarts outside of eating cheezits.

Mt Al

WKR
Foxpro makes a few calls in the $100-200 range..imo if you’re trying to go cheaper than that you can but it’s not going to last or be dependable when you need it. I know the feeling of having a cheap call not okay the sound I pressed or not working at all when I’ve made a stand.

That's my experience. I spent my money trying to save money and got something that did work, but not loud, bluetooth doesn't go far at all. My apps work pretty well, though. For really light weight, I do my phone with bluetooth speaker and hand calls.

I then went the cheapo Foxpro route and am very happy with it. Can download calls to the hand held. I can even connect my phone to the remote via a cable and run my predator call apps through the FoxPro speaker.

I love DIY stuff, do a lot of it, but didn't get the results I wanted in a predator call.

WCB

WKR
Any other decoys that you guys have found work well with coyotes? I used to have a dog that loved getting in fights with coyotes. They'd come running with no second thought to what might happen when they'd see him but the old boy has long passed and my current pup has no smarts outside of eating cheezits.

I've used some feathers tied to a dowl and it works pretty good in open country with snow. I use a Turkey feather or two and a couple duck or pheasant primaries. Different feathers move diferent in the wind. Use braided line and swivels.

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input guys. The recent review on the fusion has me thinking I'll bite the bullet and go that route.

coues32

WKR
Just bought Lucky Duck Riot, sounds great, built in decoy great remote.
Ran minaska bandit for a long time, this one is a big upgrade just over 200.
Buy from verminator and he adds some extra sounds for free.