Electronic Predator Calls

Sawtooth

FNG
Good thread here. We've been using a Foxpro and decoy for about a year now. I've recently heard it said by some experienced coyote hunters that e-calls can be counter-productive because they are so widely used and the coyotes have heard callers, especially in hard hunted areas. I wonder about that?

SoDaky

WKR
Consider 'different' sounds and much lower volume.In wind,consider higher pitched sounds but still low volume.Then of course,there is the sound of silence-at times.

dan25

Lil-Rokslider
Foxpro. I own the original xr6 and am currently running the Shockwave. The most important factor that seperates Foxpro from the any other company is there warranty and customer service. I have had to use there warranty 3 times on those callers(one was my fault); no questions asked and they took care of me every time... They are also made in the U.S. Most of the Foxpro callers have a 5 year warranty. Lucky duck may have some really good sounds, but there warranty is only one year. Good luck. Most important part of any remote are nice tactile feeling buttons and a lit screen.

I made something like this about a decade ago. Get yourself a good horn speaker and watch some diy bluetooth speaker videos. Wireless is way better than cords

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweet!! thanks for the follow up.

jlpruitt

FNG
Foxpro CS-24 is what I run and wouldn’t trade it for anything. That being said, Lucky Duck has the best sound library.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
There are many hunting items you can save some $$ on, however in my experience the electronic caller “ladder” will lead you to a fox pro anyway. I’d suggest saving the money and hassle on bargain callers and go right into a fox pro. (I say this having learned the hard way)

Smid

WKR
I think I’m down to two options. Icotech nightstalker and foxpro shockwave is anyone has a specific experience with either

C2hunting

FNG
I think I’m down to two options. Icotech nightstalker and foxpro shockwave is anyone has a specific experience with either
I would go with the Shockwave. Sound quality and durability are great. We have tortured a couple. They’re not bulletproof, but they hold up well in my experience.

Smid

WKR
I would go with the Shockwave. Sound quality and durability are great. We have tortured a couple. They’re not bulletproof, but they hold up well in my experience.

Found an decent deal on a slightly used one, should be here Saturday. A local guy just posted one today for the same price with like 900 sounds on it. Oh well lol

Family Man

Lil-Rokslider
If your main focus Is Wolf Calling then buy a Wildlife Technologies call. I have used their calls for over 25 years as well as many others. They Simply have the best sounds for most situations. When you order it request all the wolf calling sounds they have. I currently own 2 WT's, 2 Foxpro's and a Lucky Duck.

TheGDog

WKR
Make DAMN sure you ALWAYS bring along mouth calls as well! And.. be practiced with them and know how to use them. Be careful when you put your remote control into your pack to make sure nothing is pressing the buttons on the remote! Stuff pressing on your buttons can equal dead remote when you arrive at your location after that long drive in! (Hence the reason I say ALWAYS bring your mouth calls as well!)

Definitely bring a motion decoy. Especially for Bobcats! Had a Bobcat just 7-8 yds from me and didn't know it, until I went to stand up from my sit. He was crouched on the ground staring at the crappy ICOTec 300 caller, but fixated on that MOJO!

When using mouth calls, don't feel like you have to blow the piss out of them to make them loud. You don't. Just let their design do the work. Just blow regular amount of air, and concentrate on all the emboucher mouth tricks and jaw tricks you need to do to make the distress call sound more intense and desperate and have realism. Not blowing the crap outta the call will go a long way toward you sticking with it and enjoying the experience more.

Mouth calls tend to be very loud and very crisp and clear sounding. You might try setting up your eCaller... but starting off with the Mouth Call for a bit. Imagine in your minds eye the Mouth call catching their attention from a ways off... then you switch it over to your eCaller. So like, let's say you mouth call all intensely... then you have an eCaller sound that sounds more like the animal is worn out and exhausted. Those two would logically go together. One following the other.

Also think about the critter you're trying to replicate. Is that little bunny gonna have the lung capacity to wail that damn long uninterrupted? Probably not. So ya gotta give it breaks in the eCaller playback that make sense.

And finally, when you're done with that set... give it a good 10-15 min before you get up to gather the stuff. You never know when a straggler may waltz on in, staring at your motion decoy.

BTW, when Turkey Vultures start circling over your set trying to figure out where that critter is, you know you're doing something right when you're blowing those calls! Same with Hawks/Crows coming in.

Erict

WKR
I have been very satisfied with a few FoxPros through the years but have not tried other brands. Seems like most brands come up with a new super-duper feature every year or two that makes you feel like yours is obsolete. Resale values on older models are really bad from what I've seen, so make the initial investment count.

Good advice in previous posts, but make sure to take time closely scrutinizing the remote. Many might look fabulous until you actually try it at night and can't see the screen because the letters are too small or the display is too dark/light or the buttons are not where "they should be".

Smid

WKR
I can update since I have a little experience. If I had to do it all over I’d go with the icotech Sabre. They are constantly updating sounds and JD Piatt is very active on a local Facebook page and always helping guys out.

I had a shockwave and couldn’t get the volume out of it that I wanted. We hunt a large farm that runs parallel to a highway and it just wasn’t loud enough to overcome the traffic noise. My buddy is running an icotech nightstalker and side by side volume blows the foxpro away. We share sound packs and played the foxpro then the icotech and could see coyotes turn when the icotech played. I’m currently running a lucky duck roughneck and it’s a nice call for sure. Very compact size, good sound, middle of the shockwave and nightstalker volume. The remote is easy to use and read. The downfall is that it’s Chinese made and twice the price of the saber and comparable to the shockwave without having the features foxpro puts out.

zeeoh6

FNG
I've been using the Xwave since February and have enjoyed the extra volume compared to the Shockwave. The larger size isn't very noticeable when carrying it either. I do wish they would update the remote software to save the user settings so you don't have to change the play mode (Single, Repeat, Jukebox) every time you turn the remote on. I put the remote range to the test a few weeks ago when I had to move on a coyote and it was transmitting commands from well over 600yds away through a thin wood-line at that.

FLAK

WKR
I bought an Inferno and the FoxJack attachment last year.
Did about a dozen sets. Seems to work as it should, but I couldnt call in anything with fur.
Be back at it again soon this season.

You get what you pay for. Nothing more frustrating than trekking through the cold, wet dark, arriving at your location, putting your caller out, waiting for everything to settle down as the sun comes up and then finding out your caller doesn't work. FoxPro sets the bar on customer care and it is simply an eventuality that something is gonna wear out...especially if you use your caller a lot and beat it up the way I do. I've had to send my caller to FoxPro for repair and not only did they replace 90% of the guts, they added a bunch of calls to it. No charge! If someone stole my very old FX5 tomorrow, there is no way i would even consider another brand to replace it. If ya wanna save money, Google: "WTS FS FoxPro" once a week. They come up for sale regularly but they don't last long...people snatch em right up. There's good reason for that. Oh and get a rabbit pelt, poke a small hole in it so you can slide it over the antenna and cover the caller. Trust me on this one.