Elephants re-classified by IUCN

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
For the aspiring big 5 hunters out there. Not sure how this will affect trophy importation going forward but I imagine the current administration won't look too kindly on any country's conservation policies regardless of their local success.

Edit: The IUCN, for their part, acknowledges the positive benefits of hunting for both population management and habitat protection. They do say "...it is important to keep in mind that at a site level, some subpopulations are thriving. For this reason, considerable caution and local knowledge are required when translating these results into policy,” so whether or not policy makers actually listen to that part is up in the air.

Last edited:

crossone

FNG
It's hard to be a BLM supporter and save the elephants from the indigenous starving people who live with the elephants at the same time. The only thing my magic 8 ball is sure of is that things are about to get worse for everyone involved, except some connected do-gooders who will make millions while the indigenous people starve and the elephants go extinct.

FLAK

WKR
Certainly a conundrum.
This has always bothered me.
Imagine being a native African, living in the
bush and being told you cant hunt.
I would certainly be one of those "poachers".

Wvroach

WKR
Sadly that country has been ravaged from within and without. Now with the essential destruction of South Africa on the horizon, one of the last equitable and sound regions on the Continent, we will see what happens.

Tom's shoes is a great example of outsiders trying to help and causing harm, interesting read if you have time.