Elevation Acclimation for Flatlander

Water and more water. Take an asprin a day a couple weeks out and arrive a few days early. I continue to move on my acclimation days starting out light and working up to longer hikes etc. This has worked for me everytime.
Good luck!! Oxygen is not free in altitude. lol

Sdieffen

FNG
Acclimation is around a 1000ft/day. We come from Fla. and I get in shape before we come every year. Still have a headache for 3 days. Sinuses/nosebleeds for a week. Around day 10 I feel awesome. Hydrate, hydrate and just go at your pace. Remember it is supposed to be fun!

johnw

FNG
Strongly suggest you try to get there a couple of days earlier to at least acclimate some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This...

Coming from 800ft elevation to 10k, I try to get there and have 2 full days to scout before season. I use these days to acclimate by hiking at a slower pace and by the 3rd day I'm usually good to go. It's hard to do this when you arrive during the season, too tempting to jump right in at full pace.

Mustang06

FNG
I've used diamox and still got mild headaches. I think it helps, but its not a "quick fix" that will overcome other failures in preparation.

I'll agree with most..hydration is THE most important thing. Your respiration rate increases at altitude to get more oxygenated blood from your lungs to your heart and out to your body. As respiration rate increases, every exhale you lose water. So you lose water faster simply by breathing faster. It sounds silly, but I think it is a much bigger factor than most guys realize.

I've hunted with guys that were in triathlete kind of shape that still got sick...I don't believe that your physical condition determines whether or not you will GET altitude sickness...but being in great shape certainly will help you deal with it better if you get it.

The only year I went out west that it really bothered me it was my own fault. We drove 2 days to Gunnison Colorado. Stayed overnight in town, and had a few beers at the local bar.. Next morning we packed in to a drop camp at 10,700 ft. worked hard cutting wood, getting organized, etc. I woke up at 2am feeling like someone was pounding a railroad spike into my brain. Never had a headache that bad in my life. Was sick to my stomach. Felt like the walls were closing in. I probably should have went back down, but I stayed in camp, drank water, tried to eat as much a I could. by 4pm the next day I was feeling better. Lost a day of hunting, and the day after that was slow going, but by day 3 i was ok and up to speed.

Moral of the story...stay away from alcohol for several weeks leading up to the trip. Hydrate until you can't hydrate anymore. We stop quite often on the drive out for bathroom breaks because we POUND water...not just on the trip out but for at least 2 weeks prior to leaving. And EAT. I see this a lot too...guys don't feel hungry so they don't eat. Put yourself on a schedule for your food and STICK TO IT. Set up a bag of food for the day and eat everything in the bag...even if you don't feel hungry. And start off slow the first day. Ease into it and by day 3 you should be good to go.

Good Luck!

Morrid7

FNG
Like others said, you cannot predict who will get altitude sickness and it can strike someone who never had it before. I’ve never had, but I did start using Diamox before higher elevation hunts a few years ago. It’s cheap, been around a long time, and has very low side effect risk, so I figured it was good insurance against altitude sickness disrupting my hunts. Plus I hunt solo, so that factored into my decision to start using it.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk