Elevation adjustments

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I’m relatively new to shooting past 500 yards and I have a hunt coming up for elk and the elevation gain is about 4000 feet higher than I had my turret cut for. How many yards out would you say I need to take that into account on something as big as an elk?

JNDEER

WKR
No idea- but I used vortex website ballistic calculator and it really helped seeing the difference between a zero at different elevations.

Wapiti1

WKR
First, I'll suggest you not shoot past 500 yards if you are not far into it. Few elk hunts need you to do so anyway.

You state that you are new to longer range, so, please be very cautious beyond 400 yards. Not being mean, just being practical.

To your question on drop, run your verified (through drops at the range) load through JBM, Shooter, Strelok, Applied Ballistics, etc and compare the drops for each elevation. Write up a cheat sheet or print one for your new corrections if the drops aren't within a reasonable error. Reasonable error is rifle capability plus your error plus a fudge factor because shit happens. Something like 2 MOA would be reasonable under field conditions. 5 MOA if you are me.

Then consider, very seriously, using a MIL or MOA turret and ditching the custom one. This situation is exactly why custom turrets can be problematic. No matter what conditions you face, a standard turret will work as long as you have some ballistic knowledge or better yet a calculator. Custom turrets fall apart if conditions change.

Jeremy

LaHunter

WKR
Lots of good replies already. Another factor, that could be more significant than the elevation difference, is your shot angle. You need to be aware of how shot angle affects your POI and how to adjust. I have an angle / cosine chart on the back of my dope chart for a quick reference. You can do a quick google search on how to apply the 'improved rifleman's' calculation using the angle cosine value.

deadwolf

WKR
Lots of good replies already. Another factor, that could be more significant than the elevation difference, is your shot angle. You need to be aware of how shot angle affects your POI and how to adjust. I have an angle / cosine chart on the back of my dope chart for a quick reference. You can do a quick google search on how to apply the 'improved rifleman's' calculation using the angle cosine value.

Or, use a rangefinder that will do your angle compensation for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I hope that more people will start to wrap their head around custom turrets and their limitations. Just get a turret of your flavor, MILs or MOA, and go from there. Use an app and/or Kestrel, and real world data from you shooting your rifle and ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree 1000%

CDS dials are massive false advertising. Inside 500 the inherent errors are small, but beyond that they grow tremendously.

Further, a hunter shooting. 5 moa groups can fall apart at long range with everything they don't know.

I have never seen a "CDS shooter" who was truly competent... they have all talked a big game, but have universally fallen apart past 400 yards in my experience. Just too many factors. I am sure there are some competent ones.

It is so simple to use inexpensive gear and get a precise firing solution.

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
If you still the have factory turret you can put that back on and just download a ballistic app, like Sterlok pro or similar, input all of you ballistics info into the app and shoot your rifle at the range to verify drop. Before you leave to go on your hunt enter the new info, elevation, weather, etc into the app and that should get you on target.

Big Ern

WKR
Like others have said, ditch that pre-canned dial (you probably have that on a sfp scope which can compound problems if you don’t have experience). Learn to shoot with a proper turret in mil/moa. Use range a finder. Use something to gather atmospherics like a Kestrel. Learn proper shooting fundamentals; understanding and learning to use your equipment; and understanding atmospherics and impact on ballistics, etc. are all necessary for long range shooting and having the ability to ethically take game at longer distances.

it all seems a little confusing and overwhelming, but it really is pretty simple and most everyone can learn/do it. If you don’t know someone to teach you, then Inwould suggest taking a ling range ahooting course. There are a lot of good ones out there.