Elk 101 AK hunt

Catchfish

WKR
I understand the after is a lot easier to judge, but if they knew they had one day of good weather then they made a very poor decision then on the equipment they took with them when they left camp.

I don’t need to listen to the podcast to know about a survival situation, they made the choices to continue filming and making a marketing piece then that’s their choice that’s fine but then shows they made that a priority of taking care of business and can accept the critiques on their mistakes.

They learned lessons, and took the time to share those lessons that is appreciated. Doesn’t mean they can’t be critiqued and it can’t be discussed as talking points in case people think these things are normal. A lot of people would have told them these were wrong decisions at the time if we had been there.

I am glad everybody made it out safely, it’s great that it shows the difficulties in hunting that island and specifically said they wouldn’t go back. It’s a great learning tool and shows that everybody has to make good decisions when they are remote or they can get themselves in a serious situation and this goes for everyday life as well.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Kidney stones
Ah, been there myself. Ouch! Never had fever and such with them tho. I also carry meds to dilate the UT just in case it happens in the backcountry. There’s also an X ray that can pick them up which I now get as part of my annual physical.

On my goat hunt last year, we were chatting with some hunters that just got done hunting elk on Afognak. They got a nice bull but did have near constant bear issues during the pack out and waiting for then pick up.

Birddy

FNG
It was wild seeing the sheer body size of that bull as it walked around raking brush

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
I watched the video and listened to the podcast months ago. This hunt would not appeal to me. Kudos for those who try it. The whole being constantly being wet thing doesn't seem appealing. Also not having viable search and rescue would be concerning.

SDHNTR

WKR
I watched the video and listened to the podcast months ago. This hunt would not appeal to me. Kudos for those who try it. The whole being constantly being wet thing doesn't seem appealing. Also not having viable search and rescue would be concerning.
Welcome to Alaska.

Fmarji

FNG
Donnie also tweaked his knee in this years Elk101’s destination elk in the last episode. He had a rough season for sure!