Elk 101 or Elk collective?

Jason277

WKR
Hello all, I have been hunting elk in Washington state for 4 years with no success, which is not that uncommon. Anyway, I have been thinking about trying an online class or in-person class to help my learning curve a little. Has anyone taken elk 101 or the elk collective or any other course like that? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jason

Johbran

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using Elk101 for the past few months. I really like it. I can turn it on while driving and listen and catch up with the videos afterwards. Some pretty good nuggets of information.

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt WA Eastside. I didn’t find elk 101 to be super helpful/relevant for the highly pressured spike only situation there. I got more out of it my first season helping me grasp thermals, daily routine, watching my wind, etc.

Very archery/rut focused from what i remember (if that matters to you)

EVD

FNG
I started my elk journey 11 years ago with Chris Roe and what he had available online back then. Next I devoured everything possible from the Elknut. Finished with Corey Jacobson's Elk101.

I found all 3 to be very valuable resources.

I did elk 101 a couple years ago. It was good. I shared it with a buddy which helped with cost. I'd say it was worth it, but not groundbreaking or anything. Small rant, but I really hate all of these online courses. I wish I could just buy a book and have it forever. I guess this is the direction everything is going though.

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
One kick back with an elk101 membership is a 15% discount from their online store. So if you are needing some gear, the membership cost can easily be justified with savings on purchases.
I had a membership for a year and do not regret it. Learned some new stuff, reinforced some prior knowledge. If you put time in scouring the internet or this forum you'll definitely find the same or similar information. The benefit of the course is that its all in one place and you have the option to listen or read the information.

If you search this forum, you'll find other threads discussing this very topic.

kparrott

Lil-Rokslider
I think that your willingness to learn and work is more important than the course. I joined The Elk Collective right when it started, but I didn’t focus on it much. I’m paying a lot more attention to it now and find it very helpful.

I am going to go out on a limb and say you’ll be happy with either(or any of the ones listed above) as long as you apply yourself to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
I think that your willingness to learn and work is more important than the course. I joined The Elk Collective right when it started, but I didn’t focus on it much. I’m paying a lot more attention to it now and find it very helpful.

I am going to go out on a limb and say you’ll be happy with either(or any of the ones listed above) as long as you apply yourself to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you are right. I have to put the time in!

hoff1ck

WKR
I’ve done both. Both are good courses as a whole, but of the two I’d say elk collective and I’m not sure it’s even close. Granted elk 101 was in 2019, so maybe it’s been improved more recently. Learning from guys like Jason Phelps, Joel Turner, etc is well worth the money to me, so while I agree money spent on tags and gas is well spent, these guys are hardly influencers who don’t have a clue either.

SDHNTR

WKR
Save your money for gas, tags or gear. Just more examples of influencers trying to make a buck off others so they don’t have to have a real job
Agreed. Go learn a real skill/trade and go to real work. The country needs you! We don't need more "influencers"!