Elk 101 or Elk collective?

Hello all, I have been hunting elk in Washington state for 4 years with no success, which is not that uncommon. Anyway, I have been thinking about trying an online class or in-person class to help my learning curve a little. Has anyone taken elk 101 or the elk collective or any other course like that? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jason

Save your money and just watch Jason Phelps older videos. He hunted that side of the state and was successful. I assume you are hunting the westside of Washington, which is a very tough and unique place to hunt.

87TT

WKR
Let's face it, who wouldn't want to get paid to elk hunt????????????
Not everyone has someone to help them get started or plenty of opportunity to be in elk woods to learn, Speaking as a late onset elk hunter who didn't know anybody who hunted them, I soaked up all the knowledge I could as well as hunting them. I doubt anyone here or anywhere learned ALL on their own.

Last edited:
elknut app followed by Chris Roe's modules. Both have enough information for a lifetime and are very good in covering all the different aspects of elk hunting.

dlee56

WKR
Chris Roe's modules were a huge game changer for me. Went from never calling in an elk in 3 years of archery hunting to calling 2 bulls into range (arrowed 1) in a scarce CO unit.
Roe Hunting Resources

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
If there is one thing I've learned hunting here in WA it's that the animals almost never do what I think they're going to do. I could start a podcast about all the things I've used my unfilled WA elk tags for. Leveling tables, wadding up my chewing gum, scraping ice off my windshield, tiny paper airplanes, the list goes on

Wassid82

WKR
I thought Elk101 was worth the cost of admission but I didn't get tons of new information. I felt treeline academy was more in-depth info. I research a lot about plants and animals. I felt treeline had more scientific data support with how it might be helpful in the field and Elk101 was more broad knowledge application based.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
If there is one thing I've learned hunting here in WA it's that the animals almost never do what I think they're going to do. I could start a podcast about all the things I've used my unfilled WA elk tags for. Leveling tables, wadding up my chewing gum, scraping ice off my windshield, tiny paper airplanes, the list goes on
Ha! That is definitely not encouraging.

Elk 101 helped me with setups for calling.
Elk collective im sure has a ton of nuggets. But its video based. I just don't have the time to watch 250 hrs of video or whatever.
I think I watched 3 so it was a waste of money.
They videos didn't even have anything you needed to watch its just a video of them talking.
At least make it a podcast so I can listen while driving.
The elk 101 modules were easier to self pace.

Yeah alot is learned in the woods but any video you watch, podcast you listen to or coarse you buy cost what a half tank of gas now. It will be worth a jump start.

Deadfall

WKR
The elk nut app is what you after. The rest of that stuff is mediocre and kind of gimmicky in my opinion.

Chuckybmd

WKR
I had a elk 101 subscription. Corey Jacobson is really good with elk calling so I think that is probably the best part of the training program. Overall I think you could get most of the information by listening to Remi Warren cutting the distance. He has a newer podcast that is also informative if you just look at the elk specific podcast you will get a lot of great info. Best of all it’s free.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
I think I'm leaning on just podcasts and not going through an e-class. The Treeline Academy does look interesting for learning what to look for while E- scouting.

Chape1rm

Lil-Rokslider
Elk hunting is learned in the field, not in front of a computer screen.
I agree, but some guys and gals don't have the luxury of just heading out into the field. If you had to save up for your hunt and use vacation time and drive multiple days one way to cut your teeth wouldn't you want to try and gain as much knowledge as possible? Don't get me wrong the school of hard knocks teaches the best lessons but I still think you can gain an edge to maybe save all your teeth from getting kicked in.

SDHNTR

WKR
My point is that it’s a waste of your time and money. All you are doing is lining the pockets of those producing this stuff. And all they are doing in the process of taking your money is making the woods more crowded and the elk more educated and call shy. Only one winner to this stuff, and it ain’t you or the elk.

I’d second the Elk Collective comments. It’s consolidated and very well organized. Can you find it all for free in various forms on other platforms? Sure. But it makes it easy which is what my schedule needs right now. Joel Turner’s sessions are so good as well - seriously improved my shooting consistency.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
I’d second the Elk Collective comments. It’s consolidated and very well organized. Can you find it all for free in various forms on other platforms? Sure. But it makes it easy which is what my schedule needs right now. Joel Turner’s sessions are so good as well - seriously improved my shooting consistency.
I have shot with Joel at his place. One of the few perks of living in Washington. Solid dude. Taught me how to keep my Sh*t together when shooting under pressure.