Elk 101 or Elk collective?

I'd just get Chris Roes course. Roehuntingresources.com

25 bucks well spent. Chris really knows his stuff. He's very practical and has an approach to calling elk like elk call elk. Backed with tons of videos of elk making the sounds.

How he breaks down the cow sounds has been a huge game changer. I'll still bugle a little. But I hunt a small area for two weeks so I really like a sublet approach. Knowing how to call a screaming bull in with an assembly mew is awesome. Just if he'd have had his vitals open when he stopped at 25 yards! And you can only hold full draw with a recurve for so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bails-UK

FNG
If you don't have it already, the ELKNUT App is awesome, fraction of the cost of the courses, but so much information ...... try the App, before signing up to a course and also the ELKNUT Playbook 👍🏻

ejsto

FNG
I killed my first elk last year and attribute a lot of my success to elk 101. Could’ve found the info elsewhere, but it is consolidated into an easy to digest and well organized form that I could listen to while driving.

I have shot with Joel at his place. One of the few perks of living in Washington. Solid dude. Taught me how to keep my Sh*t together when shooting under pressure.
That’s pretty awesome. I’m in PA, so hopefully Lancaster Archery can get him in for a clinic or something.

Don’t forget Roe Hunting Resources Elk module. Good stuff in there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtkbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
As recommened the Elknut app. Also, there are a lot of stone cold elk killers on here. When they post, read it. Lot of solid gold info in their posts.

Fishon78

FNG
I have been elk hunting for 20 plus years and just this winter paid for and listened to the elk 101. Got some good info and learned some things I had never thought about. Solid program especially if new. As others has stated nothing can replace the experience of time in elk country gives you.

Whether its Corey, Chris, Jason, Paul or anyone else, its hard for me to bash guys for making a living off of what they love to do. And thats help others achieve some success. It's still no guarentee you'll find success. A good hunter will find success no matter what. There's still no substitute for first hand experience. You need those experiences to open those doors these guys are cracking open for you. The experienced guys have had the encounters and know there's more than one way to skin an elk. Once you've had the encounters and experiences, that perverbial light bulb will go off in an instant when it's killin time. Thats when you know you've arrived so to speak. Even these guys will tell you there isn't a one size fits all encounters. We have to figure it out at the moment of truth. When we do, it's time to pack some meat. When we don't, we have great stories to tell at camp with a lot of woulda shoulda coulda's in those camp stories.

I’m more of a hands on person.. I’m sure it works for some but I can’t see it working for me. I’ve learned more by watching, listening, and patterning animals than any advice or program could ever offer. Spend time in the woods during off season… or maybe we should all just share what we’ve learned from first hand experience…
My number 1 would be, do not use scent blocker sprays such as scent away.
Hundreds more if you care to hear

pcrossett

FNG
I am currently reading through Elk University right now, it is a free resource but I could not tell you how much it will help/hurt versus the other options you have listed. It seems detailed and is interesting to me so far.

A-Brakke

FNG
New to the forum. Not a big computer guy so hadn’t heard of this. Just moved and realized you can only talk so much hunting with your wife. Buddy pushed me this direction. Thanks for having me and fueling the fire.

I’ve read into elk 101 a bit, lots of good information but typically archery/rut focused.

I grew up in WA hunting the cascades for elk in deep thick timber. Rifle and archery. The most helpful advice a old timer friend who recently passed instilled in me was to learn what the elk do, why they do it, and what season they do it in. Pre rut, Rut, Post Rut/Late season. I’ve found they are all different kind of animals depending on the season. Only thing that stays the same is you can’t trick their nose, and they love nasty hard places to get to.

Just my two sense.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
New to the forum. Not a big computer guy so hadn’t heard of this. Just moved and realized you can only talk so much hunting with your wife. Buddy pushed me this direction. Thanks for having me and fueling the fire.

I’ve read into elk 101 a bit, lots of good information but typically archery/rut focused.

I grew up in WA hunting the cascades for elk in deep thick timber. Rifle and archery. The most helpful advice a old timer friend who recently passed instilled in me was to learn what the elk do, why they do it, and what season they do it in. Pre rut, Rut, Post Rut/Late season. I’ve found they are all different kind of animals depending on the season. Only thing that stays the same is you can’t trick their nose, and they love nasty hard places to get to.

Just my two sense.
Where are you located now?

A-Brakke

FNG
Where are you located now?
So I recently moved to Billings, Montana. If you ever got any questions or need a push in the right direction. I got lots of info, not sure I can do private DM yet as I set up this morning. But send me a message I’ll respond as soon as I’m able.

A-Brakke

FNG
Lived my whole life in Monroe, WA.
So I recently moved to Billings, Montana. If you ever got any questions or need a push in the right direction. I got lots of info, not sure I can do private DM yet as I set up this morning. But send me a message I’ll respond as soon as I’m able.

Elk 101 did the trick for me. Corey also does a podcast with randy Newburg called elk talk podcast. It's free on YouTube and has a ton on info

SWOHTR

WKR
Elk 101 is good. I did it and took notes. Learned a lot.

I would caution anyone against saying “these guys don’t do anything except get paid to hunt.” Corey ran an engineering firm and Randy runs an accounting business. Just know that the guys who make these products actually came from/are presently gainfully employed in something that we all would consider valuable, be it running an engineering firm, accountant, or having grown up logging.

I would encourage some of you to compare what you do, or did in the past, to what some of these influencers do now, or have done in the past. I bet you won’t find a lot of differences.

Diablo7

FNG
Elk 101 did the trick for me. Corey also does a podcast with randy Newburg called elk talk podcast. It's free on YouTube and has a ton on info
I was just getting ready to mention this. For a free YouTube video they seem to give a lot of useful info that I've applied to my hunt style.

I think one of the best ways to learn about hunting is general is talk with and try to hunt with people that are more experienced and successful than yourself. If you can find someone that has been successful in Washington that person would be your best bet to learn from.