Elk 2022 ideas?

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
Fully prepared for the roasting comments but obviously not what I'm looking for. Feel free to pm, which would honestly be preferred by everyone.

Next year will be our 4th year hunting elk, we spent two in the Frank in ID and almost got it done year two but couldn't close the extra 100yds to get a shot. This year we went Cristo de Sangre in CO and came up short with other hunters shooting 900yds over the top of two groups (us as the closest group to the herd) to miss and scare the whole heard into the next unit.

We much prefer the more wide open glassing opportunities of the Frank then what we found with most of the Cristo. Would also prefer an any bull but have a decent lead to cows in WY. We are thinking about Montana combo tags but being flat landers the thought of Griz is a bit much lol. And finally we were really thinking the Uintas in UT but it seems like those are even worse for glassing with all the pine then the Cristos are with Juniper, pinyon, and pine.

Anyone want to point us at a state, with better glassing opportunities on any bull OTC or 100% draw before I spend the next week attempting to navigate 8 states FGW pages? We don't have any points anywhere, the point game is more then a bit intimidating at this point to be honest. Happy to share what we've learned in exchange via pms.

Gerbdog

WKR
Well make sure your putting in for your NM tags would be my first thought. No points, just dumb luck like everyone else, good hunting opportunities if your lucky enough to draw and the states great for glassing like your looking for. I cant offer much in the way of CO advice as i hunt areas where glassing isnt much of an option.

Second bit of advice would be to try and get to know an area really well year over year, jumping around a lot may get you into elk but i think if your getting into elk in an area already and you keep going back to that area, your chances of connecting just keep going up.

Grant K

FNG
I'd say you pretty much need to suck it up and get in the points game in the states that make sense, I love OTC elk hunting and have hunted most of the states that offer true OTC tags but in general, even easy to get draw tags are noticeably better...

as far as glassing opportunities... CO is a big state, there's plenty of that here, if you don't want to spend time on Google earth to figure it out maybe get an OTC tag and unit hop until you find what you want?

I actually have a Utah any bull tag in my pocket now, I can't say I'd recommend that one to anyone who doesn't live within weekend hunting distance, its an opportunity to chase elk but I would never get it as a first choice, I just have an elk hunting problem and wanted a second bull tag, I would take almost any other tag over that one.

Every state has areas that are good for glassing spot and stalk type hunting. You’re on the right track though…. good success rate with that style of hunting. Good luck!

Laramie

WKR
Fully prepared for the roasting comments but obviously not what I'm looking for. Feel free to pm, which would honestly be preferred by everyone.

Next year will be our 4th year hunting elk, we spent two in the Frank in ID and almost got it done year two but couldn't close the extra 100yds to get a shot. This year we went Cristo de Sangre in CO and came up short with other hunters shooting 900yds over the top of two groups (us as the closest group to the herd) to miss and scare the whole heard into the next unit.

We much prefer the more wide open glassing opportunities of the Frank then what we found with most of the Cristo. Would also prefer an any bull but have a decent lead to cows in WY. We are thinking about Montana combo tags but being flat landers the thought of Griz is a bit much lol. And finally we were really thinking the Uintas in UT but it seems like those are even worse for glassing with all the pine then the Cristos are with Juniper, pinyon, and pine.

Anyone want to point us at a state, with better glassing opportunities on any bull OTC or 100% draw before I spend the next week attempting to navigate 8 states FGW pages? We don't have any points anywhere, the point game is more then a bit intimidating at this point to be honest. Happy to share what we've learned in exchange via pms.
You want what every elk hunter wants. OTC good elk hunt. Guys get it done on those hunts but it isn't a realistic strategy for what you are seeking. There is simply too much demand for the small supply. To put it plainly, you either have to bite the bullet and spend more money- points, landowner tags, tresspass fees, etc or be willing to go where the masses will not- grizzly country.

I do think the mention above about learning an OTC area has merit.