Elk .243 or 25-06

how much do you think sierra has tested their TMK's on game? like any other industry almost, they build to a spec for a purpose and market it in that arena, they are still a matchking, but that tip (accidentally on their part) made them a reliable expanding bullet on game and turned them into an effective projectile.... ELD-M aren't a hunting bullet either, yet they are the bullet of choice for many, because they work better than "hunting" bullets for what they do.

would you trust the company who builds a match bullet and leaves it at that, or someone who has killed a bunch of critters with them and watched a bunch more killed with them? i guess the answer lies in your agenda, because if it fit yours, of course you would believe experience over assumption from a company... they built a match bullet, why would they test it on game? they literally (from my understanding) added a plastic tip to a matchking, they didn't know that would result in consistent results on game, and they aren't going to invest in testing, because they already make hunting bullets.

if you want to take marketing and treat it as gospel, while ignoring experience, well..... you are what capitalism relies on to thrive, which is ironic in this context.

entertaining thread though.... especially the last few pages that became even more ironic. if you shoot a big enough cartridge for elk, you only have to shoot it a couple times per year, which is better than someone who shoots a smaller cartridge and shoots it a bunch.

i also shoot my bow every day with very few exceptions (usually 2-3 times per day) and i shoot the bow i'm hunting with exactly as it is when i hunt with it (quiver on, 4 arrows in the quiver+the one on the string)

i don't care what weapon i'm hunting with, but i want to be well practiced with that particular weapon, a few thousand rounds from my 17 shooting rats doesn't cut it for me... it's fun, and good practice, but it doesn't take the place of shooting the rifle i'm hunting with.... certainly tougher recently with ammo and reloading supplies hard to get, but i have been able to find some primers/powder/bullets by shopping a little every morning and evening.... doesn't make it easy, but also not a valid excuse to not practice
I've discussed the TMK and other bullets available for my .308 offline with @Formidilosus. We're good.

I plan to pick up a box loaded with 168 grain TMKs from Black Hills soon to see how they shoot.

I'm in the "practice makes perfect/permanent" camp myself and agree with you on that point. In fact, every fall my daughters and I get out the .22 and start shooting from various field positions to re-train on these perishable skills. Same goes for busting clays before the pheasant opener. Eventually we step it up to whatever rifle they will be using during deer season. Last year it was the .35 Whelen and .50 caliber muzzleloader. Years past it was a .44 mag.

I've discussed the TMK and other bullets available for my .308 offline with @Formidilosus. We're good.

I plan to pick up a box loaded with 168 grain TMKs from Black Hills soon to see how they shoot.

I'm in the "practice makes perfect/permanent" camp myself and agree with you on that point. In fact, every fall my daughters and I get out the .22 and start shooting from various field positions to re-train on these perishable skills. Same goes for busting clays before the pheasant opener. Eventually we step it up to whatever rifle they will be using during deer season. Last year it was the .35 Whelen and .50 caliber muzzleloader. Years past it was a .44 mag.
absolutely!

i really want to do some hunting with my 44mag in the near future(S&W 629) want to kill some bear and blacktail with it, but the determining factor is spending enough time shooting it... thought about scoping it, but i just need to shoot it as is and get better with it... i can shoot it alright, but good enough.... perfect bear weapon, they are easy to stalk.

practice is the reason i never have many rifles at one time, i personally hate guns that sit, they should be shot, and since archery hunting is my primary gig, i don't want to invest the time to stay practiced with many rifles. i have one rifle i hunt with currently (6.5sitdowntopee) and shoot it often through the year, and have been trying hard to round up components to stay in ammunition to shoot, and today found some more powder.... now just need to find one big jug when i find it, but have 5# to get me by in the meantime.

i think people take rifle shooting for granted, but from what i see at the range, a lot of people suck at shooting (great on the internet, but not in real life) the cool thing about a 223 is people can find ammo and shoot, then go kill whatever they want with it with the right bullet. i personally wouldn't use one for elk, not because i think it's inferior, i just have other rifles i would grab first, but everything else, i wouldn't hesitate because of the volume of ammo i could shoot with one all year, that has value to me.... seeing what i have seen lately, i want another (sold mine to my BIL last year for cheap because he really wanted it) i also want a 257wby to set up as a simple MPBR rifle, which is very practical around here