Elk .243 or 25-06

CoStick

WKR
I have seen numerous elk taken with these. I already limit my shots to 300 yards and home some neck/shoulder issues. Thinking about retiring my .270/muzzle brake and carry a 25-06 or .243. Anyone else have experience with these rounds?

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot a few deer with a 243 shooting 80 grain Barnes ttsx, and one cow elk with a neck shot, same bullet. I personally wouldn't want to shoot an elk in the chest with it, but thats just my 2 cents. No experience with any other 243 bullets on big game, maybe someone else will have a different suggestion

TxxAgg

WKR
The 90/95 gr Nosler BT gets a lot positive recommendations for punching above its weight.

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
For clarification, its not that the Barnes didn't perform, they work excellent on deer. But they tend to run a lot farther than when I hit em with my 30-06, and I can just imagine an elk would go further yet.

Zappaman

WKR
It's all about shot placement... either would do at 300 yards if put in the right place WITH the right bullet. Partition, Barnes solids-- deep penetration (and breaking through a shoulder shot) is key with these lighter loads or course. The only issue is wind... where a larger caliber is going to hold better- again allowing for good placement.

Seeknelk

WKR
If you do a search on here...I think you'll find good info. And the 95 and 100 grain partitions have worked very well from the 243. Get some aggressive wound channels but still have enough ass. Stay away from the SST.

Especially if you go with the heaviest hunting bullets. You can get partitions and grand slams up 120 grains.
In my mind this is a big deal. A lot of factory loads for smaller cartridges are underloaded because they don't want a .243 that kicks too hard because that's the appeal of a .243. If you can handload for accuracy and speed I think that makes a .243 a lot more effective on big game.

A 25-06 with factory load will be fine, hand load will be better. .243 will be fine as long as you keep it around 200y to maybe 250y

I shoot a 6.5x284 norma and from my minimal experience 120g moving over 3100fps will take down anything up to 500y. So I think we over think the cartridge and power etc, especially when the distances are under 300y.

But, just get a 30-06 and be happy (or a 7mm-06 if recoil is an issue).

WRO

WKR
For clarification, its not that the Barnes didn't perform, they work excellent on deer. But they tend to run a lot farther than when I hit em with my 30-06, and I can just imagine an elk would go further yet.
Barnes suck for that reason, they pencil hole and don't dump any energy. Yes they'll kill, but you'll need to blood trail a bit.

I'm guessing that 110 eldx would be money out of a 25-06.