Elk 2nd Season CO - Small Game

DamnRinella

Lil-Rokslider
As you must buy a small game license for the elk tag, does anyone shoot any small game during their elk hunt? Or around camp? Same rifle or do you bring something different? What small game would you even consider?

Thanks all!

We will shoot grouse every chance we get. Packing a little 22 pistol with quiet rounds is the best. This year just my son has a black powder tag, so I will be carrying a 22 rifle.

OP
D

DamnRinella

Lil-Rokslider
Very cool! Getting ready for my first trip and think that would be fun and tasty

sndmn11

WKR
You only have to buy a small game license to apply for a big game license. An over the counter big game license does not require a small game license be purchased.

Bl704

WKR
As you must buy a small game license for the elk tag, does anyone shoot any small game during their elk hunt? Or around camp? Same rifle or do you bring something different? What small game would you even consider?

Thanks all!
Grouse would be one of the most common. I know several bowhunters hunting the end on September will carry small game points or blunts for grouse.

OP
D

DamnRinella

Lil-Rokslider
Yea good point, I forgot I needed it to apply for mule deer tag. Either way, grouse with a 22 sounds fun (y)

This year I'm carrying a judo point in my quiver. Eating dusky grouse beats Mountain House any day of the Fall.

Explorer

FNG
I carry a kids .22 cricket, mostly when scouting or at a base camp. While elk hunting I am usually too concerned that a shot will scare elk away. Mostly interested in grouse but if I get a chance at something legal I'll take it. It weighs a little over 2lbs. Got it for $99 a year or so ago. Its a little hard to get my cheek low enough to see through the sights but it shoots well and is light. I shot a variety of rounds through it and everything shoots well. I like the CCI Quiet, Short, or CB rounds. The CB rounds sound like a stick breaking.
I hope to get this conversion kit one day.
Carbon fiber stock and barrel would make it weigh 1 lb.
I carried a Henry survival .22 for a long time but I was never happy with it. It never shot well, I did not like the sights, it jammed a lot, and just felt cheaply made.
My hunting partners carried sling shots this year. One got a grouse with a head shot. 20190923_094322.jpg20190923_095242.jpg

ChrisAU

WKR
Putting a Leupold 4x28 on a Savage Rascal 22 I got just for this. We killed two grouse this past season while elk hunting, made excellent camp fare. We used a 9MM my buddy was carrying, hoping to not make so much noise with the 22 with CCI subsonic ammo. Will have to check out those CB rounds.