Elk 2nd Season Rifle Colorado

I have a handful of units I’m looking at in NW Colorado. One unit is almost completely wilderness with elevations around 11,000. I see trails all over. With it being the beginning of late season I know weather may make for a much more challenging hunt. Pressure will force the elk into their typical late season sanctuary spots.

My expectations are pretty low right now. I know it’s going to be tough. I’ll be packing up camp and moving to a new OP everyday. Even though the unit is 94% wilderness it blows my mind how many trails there are. I feel like I’m going to struggle finding these sanctuary spots. I hope I get lucky and someone bumps some elk into my draw/valley (wouldn’t that be nice). I think if I continue to do e-scouting and pick many OP spots I’ll feel a little better about going. This is my first elk hunt and I’m not going to go unless I get a couple of more people committed to going with me. I’m almost tempted to look at different units with UTV access and just make the experience that much more easier.

Just looking to chat about Colorado elk hunting and get some general advice on planning. Thanks in advance.

street

WKR
Depending on what NW units youre talking about im happy to share some info. You can pm me.

One nice thing about trails is that hunters tend to avoid the ones highly traveled by hikers. The elk see so many people on these trails that I suspect they become less wary of them. Until they get shot at! I wouldn’t worry about the trails. Use them to get in easy and then jump off into the areas you want to check. They should help you cover ground quickly.

Gobbler36

WKR
This isn’t meant to be rude but there’s Not really a secret recipe for success it’s a lot of sweat equity and trying to cover as much ground as you can with your optics sprinkled with some luck. Not coming onto a forum a having someone tell you how to do it. Buy a tag, drive out and start hiking and look for sign and use your glass. Sounds like you are good at the planning part. Now just go do it

I’m kind of in the same boat as you. Have a few units narrowed down and basically trying to decide between choosing one that is remote and foot access only to “try” and get away from crowds, or choosing one that has a lot of OHV trails and taking the Ranger to cover more ground to glass and learn where/how elk move. Im leaning towards the latter since I have never spent any time in elk country and think I can gather more information that way, but we haven’t decided yet. Curious to see what the experienced guys think is a better option for a greenhorn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m kind of in the same boat as you. Have a few units narrowed down and basically trying to decide between choosing one that is remote and foot access only to “try” and get away from crowds, or choosing one that has a lot of OHV trails and taking the Ranger to cover more ground to glass and learn where/how elk move. Im leaning towards the latter since I have never spent any time in elk country and think I can gather more information that way, but we haven’t decided yet. Curious to see what the experienced guys think is a better option for a greenhorn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you have never been on the OHV trails, just remember that some of them are limited with width. Can’t remember if it is 70” or what, but Razrs will just squeeze through, rangers won’t fit. Just check that out before hand to make sure you don’t limit yourself to regular roads

Phaseolus

WKR
If you have never been on the OHV trails, just remember that some of them are limited with width. Can’t remember if it is 70” or what, but Razrs will just squeeze through, rangers won’t fit. Just check that out before hand to make sure you don’t limit yourself to regular roads
50”