Elk ammo

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
Going on my first elk hunt this year. Im looking for some good .300 win mag ammo to use. How many grains, brand, etc? Thank you!!

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
My first 2 choices would be 168 ttsx and 180 accubond for bullets. Hornady makes some high performance stuff. Saw one case where an interbond 165 gr out of a 30-06 didnt penetrate as well as I would have hoped.

Sled

WKR
i've never had an accubond shoot poorly in my rifles. that said, i've moved to copper bullets and have been trying the ttsx lately.

what twist is your barrel? are you shooting legs or lungs?

The nice thing about the 300WM/good 180gr or 200gr. Bullets shooting through the shoulder or the crease works. Sometimes all the elk does is lean forward just as you squeeze and the near leg is blocking the crease.
Our core group has hunted together for over 40 years. Currently shooting Accubonds, Partitions, TTSX and Berger’s. The only one I’ve any issue with is the Berger at close range, 30 yards; as was pointed out we did find him not to far away.
You’ll spend a lot of money on your elk hunt, as MT. Muley pointed out your rifle will help you decide. Go test some ammo loaded with good bullets.
If all else fails go with Nosler Partitions. Hard to go wrong with one of those.
Don

As far as spending money; this will be my 53 consecutive elk season, I still have my original 30/06; Kershaw knife and a Stetson. Don’t worry about what a few cartridges cost.

I’m a big fan of 200 grain Accubonds out of my 300 win mag. Never let me down yet. Always good penetration. Didn’t love the eld-x out of mine. Accurate didn’t penetrate like I wanted.

Wrench

WKR
I wouldn't shoot a round nose or a hard cast.

Basically anything else will work in that setup. Pick one that's accurate and that you can get a few boxes of.

HookUp

WKR
Shot a bull with a 180 grain Accubond and it did a great job. I have shot a pile of deer with bergers and will be switching over to accubonds. I have had better luck with corelokts and accubonds getting them to drop quicker.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone, I think i will be buying accubonds and trying them out first and see how they shoot. Ive always bought cheap ammo for deer hunting in my home state, but want something reliable for my first elk hunt!

archp625

WKR
I did what others on here mentioned. I went out and bought 4 different boxes of ammo. At the end of the day you will find what your rifle likes. Mine loved 180 grain accubonds. Every rifle is different.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would try out Sako 300win mag hammerhead in 220 gr love the round and it loves to role elk.

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be using 180 accubonds as well for my first elk hunt this year in the Thorofare. I’ve heard nothing but positive results when the bullet is placed correctly.

RnnHntr

FNG
I prefer the 200-grain Partition for elk in .30-06 or .300 Win Mag. Most of my hunting is in cover where shots are generally in the 100 to 200 yard range.