Elk anatomy shot placement

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
So going back to original post here, my question was mainly asking if there was a dissection of an elk to see exactly where the lungs and heart are in relation to the shoulder and other bone(in a precise way mind you). My reason is that googling "elk shot placement" has many many different overlays on the vitals. I simply wish I could find ACTUAL photos of the elk vitals behind a rib cage with the hide and meat stripped away.

Beendare

WKR
So going back to original post here, my question was mainly asking if there was a dissection of an elk to see exactly where the lungs and heart are in relation to the shoulder and other bone(in a precise way mind you).

Like this? Though I think the one diagram provided already was darn good.
ELKCUTAWAY.jpg

Beendare

WKR
If I recall correctly, that photo was posted by BB on Bowsite years ago and has made the rounds. If that's correct, it was a photo of an antelope that he took then blew up to fit an elk photo.

Its a BB photo...but I don't remember that Antelope part of the story.

Bottom line, both diagrams on this thread is pretty close. If you are trying to see how high...or how close to the front leg/Shoulder you can shoot them....I would say you are interpreting this wrong.

No reason to hug the shoulder....and shooting them high is a bad idea....those are the shots we all hear about that didn't leave a good blood trail.

_______

hobbes

WKR

Bottom line, both diagrams on this thread is pretty close. If you are trying to see how high...or how close to the front leg/Shoulder you can shoot them....I would say you are interpreting this wrong.

No reason to hug the shoulder....and shooting them high is a bad idea....those are the shots we all hear about that didn't leave a good blood trail.

_______

I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR

_______
I would think those are both good diagrams as well. It’s not to see how close I can get one way or the other, but just for education. I think wide margins on a shot is great.

jmez

WKR
Timberland outfitters is wrong. I marked on the picture. Everything behind the green mark is not lung. The green line follows what is called the line of pleural reflection. This is where the diaphragm attaches and separates the lungs from the chest cavity. There are no lungs behind the green line.

Attachments

• elk.jpg
    elk.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 58