Elk and early season temps

It’s been in the 80s and 90s lately in the area I’m going to be hunting opening week. The forecast is saying the temps will drop significantly into the mid 60s at elevation opening day.

what temps do you find elk willing to be most active during early season? Is mid 60s or low 70s gonna still be too warm for them to want to be out and active much?

hobbes

WKR
You aren't going to get much nicer than highs in the mid 60s or low 70s in early season. The mountains will likely be seeing 30s at night if that is your high temps. The elk still aren't going to stand around in the open for very long once the sun hits them.

Gerbdog

WKR
Those are still warm temperatures if your an elk, they will be looking for those cool temp areas up high, especially as the rut picks up. Its been dry out west this year in the state i am hunting, thats worth keeping in mind as it may dictate where the elk are hanging around before pressure hits, I personally am planning on hunting a chain of wallows i know of early season and seeing which/ if any are being hit regularly and hunting the areas around them. I can always jump in one myself and roll around if a predator attacks to beat its heat vision.

Swede

WKR
I like temps in the 80s. I ambush elk from a tree stand. I often wait near water for elk to get thirsty in their beds and come to get a drink. Elk are just like us. They need more water when it is hot.

Expect them to be in the feeding areas with shrubs and foliage in the dark and early mornings and then back to north facing slopes up higher when the sun hits

OP
M
60's and 70's at 11k feet with the sun shining feels like 80's. Those are pretty normal September daytime high country temps.
The forecast is for mid 70s in the nearest town which is down at 6800 so up at 10/10.500 it should be even cooler then that. I live in Colorado so I’m familiar with September weather in the mountains but it will be my first year elk hunting so I was just curious what temp they find most comfortable to actually be out and about and not bedded down at the first sign of the sun hitting them.

Elk do what elk do...temps don’t necessarily dictate their movements.

Think about all the desert land elk, and the temps they’re experiencing.

If it’s super hot, maybe they’ll hit the water more often....but outside of that, I wouldn’t adjust my tactics based on temps.

This weekend here somewhere in western CO. driving through the ranch access to take a look at my unit that I have hunted over the years.

These images should show you what they are up to. It was exactly 12:00 noon, 89 degrees, out in these fields. Then I could hear cows talking close by. Looked up on the hill side behind me & there they were, some cows & calves wanting to get to the herd about 1/4 mile away. There were more in that herd than you can see here.

w3ggFUrh.jpg

HnWJQ7th.jpg

9SzKiGDh.jpg

qO6fZnAh.jpg

OP
M
This weekend here somewhere in western CO. driving through the ranch access to take a look at my unit that I have hunted over the years.

These images should show you what they are up to. It was exactly 12:00 noon, 89 degrees, out in these fields. Then I could hear cows talking close by. Looked up on the hill side behind me & there they were, some cows & calves wanting to get to the herd about 1/4 mile away. There were more in that herd than you can see here.

w3ggFUrh.jpg

HnWJQ7th.jpg

9SzKiGDh.jpg

qO6fZnAh.jpg
That’s what I’m curious about everything I’ve read, watched and researched says if it’s too hot they’ll just bed down from the first sign of sun hitting them till late in the day but it looks like that’s not a steadfast rule as some would make you believe. Which there probably aren’t any 100% rules when it comes to elk

yep as most of us try to say over & over, elk do what elk do, and elk are where you find them!

There they were, doing everything that other say they don't do

About 7 years ago, I dont hunt the ranch, I hunt the wilderness, OTC, 2:00 afternoon 1/2 mile from trail head, got a 6X6 with bow.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yep, kill elk where you find elk, not where you want them to be

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
Hormones mean more than temps. With cooler temps and the early full moon I think they will be more active than if it was 80. Remember it will be much cooler in the timber too.
We'll see this coming week though !

Sled

WKR
The forecast is for mid 70s in the nearest town which is down at 6800 so up at 10/10.500 it should be even cooler then that. I live in Colorado so I’m familiar with September weather in the mountains but it will be my first year elk hunting so I was just curious what temp they find most comfortable to actually be out and about and not bedded down at the first sign of the sun hitting them.

the dry adiabatic lapse rate is around 5 degrees fahrenheit per 1000 feet. wet is around 3 degress/1000ft

you should see about a 20* difference from your forecast area to your hunting elevation.

OP
M
Hormones mean more than temps. With cooler temps and the early full moon I think they will be more active than if it was 80. Remember it will be much cooler in the timber too.
We'll see this coming week though !
Yup I’m pumped gonna camp the night before opener on the mountain so I can be out there right at first light. Was looking through the regs last night being my first time out had never heard of the max 80% letoff regulation and my bow was at 85 luckily I have a Mathews and was able to go snag the last 80% mod in the Denver area. I’d have never guessed the archery shop would sell you a 1200$ bow that isn’t even legal to hunt with smh.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yup I’m pumped gonna camp the night before opener on the mountain so I can be out there right at first light. Was looking through the regs last night being my first time out had never heard of the max 80% letoff regulation and my bow was at 85 luckily I have a Mathews and was able to go snag the last 80% mod in the Denver area. I’d have never guessed the archery shop would sell you a 1200$ bow that isn’t even legal to hunt with smh.
They don't know what you're going to do with the bow once you purchase it. Regulations are different in every state. It's up to you as the end user to know what you need. That's not the shop's fault.

OP
M
They don't know what you're going to do with the bow once you purchase it. Regulations are different in every state. It's up to you as the end user to know what you need. That's not the shop's fault.

Ya it’s my job to know everything but they knew what it was for as I specifically asked to be set up with a bow to hunt elk in CO I’m sure there’s lots of first time hunters out there with illegal bows.