Elk and mule deer combo

Lowe43

FNG
May be the wrong location we are headed to challis idaho for a combo diy hunt we are pulling my travel trailer up there from Texas plan to be there on the 12th of Oct deer season would have started elk season starts a few days later we plan to hunt until the 26th of the month. I've never been to this area anyone have any imput on animals or tips for this time of the season. Second question My pack is a external pack Frame and with all my gear and water food rifle binoculars spotter survival gear such as tarp for tent 3lb sleep system. It weighs in at 45 pounds in total. Is that to much am I over prepared. Or is that the normal.

45 pounds for 14 days of Idaho october weather sounds light. Personally, you wouldn't catch me using a tarp as my only shelter in Challis during the fall.

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Better check the IDF&G website. Brutal winter, still a lot of snow. Curious why you chose ID. Your passing some great country just to get there

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
I would plan on more water storage there than you think you need. Water can be more sparse than you might think in that area. Also I'd agree with the statement about your sleep system depending on how much you plan on using it vs. your camper. I know there are guys that would disagree with me, but that's just my opinion.

OP
L

Lowe43

FNG
Not planning on sleeping out of the camper maybe a night or two. Chose idaho because they are one of the few states that honor vetrans

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
Sleep your first night within sight of the camper and you'll figure out if your system is up to snuff. The nice thing about having the camper is you can take more than you need and leave things in the camper if you decide they are superfluous.

I hunted that area in 2015 and we got dumped on with snow. Winter comes early up there.
I think we had fresh snow 5 of 8 days I was there. Ton of deer in that area

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
so how did your hunt go ?I'm headed to 36b sept. 9 -18 for archery elk this year . Any tips or advice ?

OP
L

Lowe43

FNG
Well saw some nice bucks but all in private land. Saw a big 6x6 the day before elk season never saw him again headed back next year I now have a better idea of the area and won't waste as much time