Elk and Wildfire smoke

pingpong7

FNG
Surprised this hasn't been a threat yet! Curious everyone's thoughts on how air quality in the red effects bulls? Does it shut them up? Does it help booger up their sense of smell? Obviously, hurts glassing, but it has got to help too right? Do tactics change for archery hunting bulls in the rut?

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
It must shut them up because I'm just south of the zirkal fire and it's hazy and no elk are talking.

2five7

WKR
Smoky and quiet as heck on the property I guide on, Central Utah.

I made a new thread about this, didn't see yours. I'll see if I can delete mine.

A few guys have said they heard bugles in much thicker smoke. So I'm not sure what it is, it's hot but it's in the past and they are screaming, it's super dry this year but I don't see why that would shut them up plenty of water where I was, a little early in our season but they're not making noise anywhere in the west. I kinda think it's the smoke messing with their sense of smell because all the other factors I've experienced before, and this isn't a local issue it's kinda the whole western US.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
From personal experience this year in SW Montana, the elk have seemed to be much more active and vocal on the less smokey days. This is just a theory, but we have thought it might be possible that the smoke messes with their nose so they just sit in the dark timber and ride it out. We have still been hearing bugles on smokey days, but have not seen many elk in the open feeding when the smoke is bad.

Murph1

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty smoky and 71 degrees where I was hunting in Idaho. Nothing until Monday then it all broke loose and that was the worst day for smoke

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty smoky and 71 degrees where I was hunting in Idaho. Nothing until Monday then it all broke loose and that was the worst day for smoke

Is the smoke messing with your breathing? I'm going first rifle, and am already nervous about the altitude...

Is the smoke messing with your breathing? I'm going first rifle, and am already nervous about the altitude...

Yes! I live where I hunt and it's mostly 8000-9500 ft. So altitude isn't really an issue for me since I live here year round. I hunted ALL day sun up to sun down on Tuesday, it's Thursday and I'm hacking and my lungs are still rough. So I either caught covid or the smoke really got me. So yes, the smoke will be an issue if it's there. What can you do? Not much. I'm open to any suggestions.

Smoke is a issue. It burns your lungs if breathing hard and it makes eyes sting after prolonged exposure. I can't hike in smoke anymore. Been there done that. It also dulls smell. Its harder to smell elk urine and funk as my lungs and sinuses are irritated.
How wildfire smoke effects elk is a great question. Don't know the answer.

Been hit and miss in central mt for me. Some days they’ll talk in the smoke, others they won’t. Can’t make heads or tails of it.

I guess what I was getting at is if it effects us humans it also has to effect the animals. Our vision, smell and ability to breath are compromised. Would it not be the same for animals that are in direct exposure 24-7? We can shelter inside in a controlled filtered environment.

I guess what I was getting at is if it effects us humans it also has to effect the animals. Our vision, smell and ability to breath are compromised. Would it not be the same for animals that are in direct exposure 24-7? We can shelter inside in a controlled filtered environment.

I agree. I hunted super hard Tuesday (opening archery day). It’s Friday and I’m worried I can’t go out again. I can’t breath, and my nose has turned into a faucet. If it does that to me it has to have at least some effect on the animals.

But on the flip side a lot of guys I’ve talked to say this isn’t super uncommon end of aug and into sep and they we heard elk go nuts in worse smoke. Maybe it’s just been so prolonged and smoke is EVERYWHERe in the west?

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
Very limited experience hunting in smoke, so take this with a grain of salt, but when I've been scouting for deer and elk in hot, smoky conditions, they seemed to go lower and stay around water. Maybe the lower they go and the more humid air around water is easier on them? Just a thought, I honestly don't know. The humid air around water may be easier on their eyes and throats? Thick trees acting as kind of a filter for some smoke, giving fresh oxygen? Like I said, idk anything about it, but if you're not finding elk in their usual spots, it may be a good idea to try a thick, lower spot with lots of water. Anybody else find this to be true?