elk are winning

bnsafe

WKR
my daughter got a muzzleloader tag in co. I hadnt hunted the unit in 9 years. It has completely changed. More people than I have ever seen. Deadfall everywhere where it wasnt before. No elk sign where I always saw it. She is having resp issues so we came back to town for a couple days then going back up. I am feeling a ton of pressure to at least get her to see a elk. This is her first elk hunt and my Dad died a couple weeks ago so lots of emotions.
At any rate getting our butts kicked so far.

Pgohil

WKR
Stay focused. Don't think of it like the Elk are winning. Think of it like well you've crossed some areas off that don't have elk. Keep exploring and moving. Thanks can chain when a moment's notice and the elk of a lifetime could be within shooting range in the blink of an eye. Sorry for the loss of your father, and best wishes for your daughter!

RR2012

Lil-Rokslider
Hope the best for your daughter! As stated above stay after it and things can change in a second. Hopefully your next post is with pics!!

When that happens I just tell myself we are due to cross paths. It’s just a matter of time and you’ve already put some in. If things have changed and you know the area well take a fresh look at the map and think about where you’d run to if someone was trying to put you in their freezer. Good Luck!

SonnyDay

WKR
I am sorry for your loss. Good on you for going out with your daughter under the circumstances.

My advice (worth what you paid for it!): focus on making sure your daughter has fun with her dad on this adventure.

If ya get one… even better!

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks all. we are having fun. she is 25 and never hunted the mnts so getting a great education. we are going slow and whatever happens happens. I took her to the ER last nite cause she got to bad to continue, but back in a hotel now. gonna go back tues. I am very limited on where I can take her now with her resp issues but we are gonna go in, set up, call, and hope. who knows, it only takes a blink of a eye to change. I did here a bugle in a area she can get to so we are gonna focus in on that area. more to come.

idahodave

WKR
Focus more on the time spent with your daughter and less on harvest and it'll be a success either way.

Do NOT let the pressure of killing an elk ruin time with your kid. I've been there myself, and learned this lesson the hard way.

Dave

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
we are heading back up in a couple hours. gonna go slow and not far. Pretty limited on where I can get her to. If she starts having any more issues we are gonna pull the plug and just have some fun somewhere.

Helge23

FNG
Good luck and hope you cross paths with one! Enjoy the time out there with your daughter but if plans change, make that great as well!

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
we got home late last nite. no elk. it was a great trip and had a ton of fun with my daughter. she fought her resp stuff the whole time but didnt quit and i am so proud of her. last time i hunted the area was 8 years ago and wow has it changed. WAY more people than even 8 years ago, deadfall ruined areas I use to see elk in all the time. It took me several days to change tactics instead of relying on past successes. we were learning the new patterns and getting closer every day (last day we had 2 bulls bugling at 150 yds). but she finally ran out of steam so we packed up and left. i will say the bulls wanted nothing to do with calling and stayed in the dark timber during daylight hours. i was shocked we didnt get into a sattelite bull but just never happened. oh well, great time and great memories. next year