Elk Arrow Dilemma

Redstag20

FNG
I am trying to decide on what arrow to use for my September elk hunt. I am shooting a Mathews Halon 32, 29" draw and pulling about 72 lbs. Here are the 2 arrows I have been considering:

Easton Deep Six FMJ 340......470 grains, 282 fps, 83 ft. lbs of KE, .588 Slugs momentum and FOC 10%

Easton Axis 300 (50 grains of brass up front)......492 grains, 278 fps, 84.4 ft. lbs of KE, .607 slugs momentum and 13.27 FOC

All the statistics point to the Axis for my setup but after quite a few shooting sessions the FMJs group better. What should I do? Go with the FMJs and not worry about the rest or try more tweaking to get the axis to fly better? I haven't paper tuned to the axis arrows....could that be it? Any help would be appreciated!

OR Archer

WKR
You've already answered your question. Shoot the arrow that is more accurate with your set up. It's more than adequate for elk.

Brendan

WKR
I haven't paper tuned to the axis arrows....could that be it?

Personally - I would make sure each setup is tuned and shooting right before you make your decision. Then, I'd pick the one that was shooting more accurately. (That goes for both the FMJ and the Axis in terms of making sure they are paper tuned/bareshaft tuned then broadhead tuned)

If it was a push and they were shooting the same (but only if accuracy was equal) - I'd shoot the Axis with the stiffer spine, better momentum, KE and FOC.

Both excellent shafts, shoot what shoots best and enjoy the fruits of your harvest. You have plenty of performance to hunt the NA 29 with either shaft. Good luck!

An elk wont notice the arrow being 22 grains lighter, 4 fps faster, generating 1.4 ft/lb less energy, .019 less momentum, and 3% less FOC. The difference in numbers is pretty insignificant. If you want to give the Axis a fair try you should tune your bow to them. If you'd rather be done experimenting and are getting the accuracy you want then hunt with the FMJ's.

theleo is who nailed it. Both arrows are the same except for the price tag. So, when you lose your arrow (for whatever reason) after the shot, would you rather have an extra dollar in your pocket to buy a coke on the way home...?