Elk arrow setup

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
So its been 7 years since I hunted elk and in that 7 years I have switched to traditional gear.With that being said im wondering if my arrow i enough to get the job one or not. Right now im shooting a 58 pound custom recurve at 27 inch draw.Right now im shooting a 30 inch beman mfx classic 400 with te 75 gr brass insert and125 grain head. Im just wondring if I should switch to a heaver arrow and also what broadhead to go with or if I should just stick with my magnus stingers. Thanks Daniel

G Posik

WKR
I try and keep my set ups in the 9-11 gpp. I think you might want to bump your weight up a little. In doing so you will have to tune arrows again. It really gives you more momentum in the 9-11 gpp range. It also helps to have really sharp broadheads. I tend to get mine scary sharp. This year I will be hunting wood shafts only. I have a few different weight field points if you need some.

Glenn

Jager

WKR
There is a really good article in the Jan-March edition of EBJ on kinetic energy, along with a formula for calculating what your setup is producing.

OP
Daniel Bybee

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
I would love to shoot wood arrows but dont know the first thing about them. I think i may switch up to a 150 gr magnus stinger and also put some weight tubes in my arrows, that should kick me over 500 grs easily.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't either Daniel I just bought some shafts a fletching jig tapering tool and read (before the net) what I could and learned by trial and error.

Your setup sounds pretty good. As far as broadheads hard to beat slick tricks or shuttle t locks in my experience shuttles flying the best.

My setup works out to 9.8 grains per lb (610 grain arrow) and just over 13% FOC.

150 grain 2-blade Stingers with 50 grain brass insert.

Im giving serious thought to trying a single bevel head like the Ashby design, but the price tag on most of these keeps me away. I hear a lot of good things about them. I know some serious traditional archers that can make some compound guys look like chumps on the range who swear by single bevel broadheads.

Tilzbow

WKR
Your arrow weight is going to be about 530 grains and will work great for elk with that two blade head. I wouldn't change a thing.

tater

WKR
9-12GPP and a sharp broadhead. Nothing that Papa Bear and Glen St. Charles didn't know 50 years ago.

If anyone is looking at a single bevel (Ashby) style head that is reasonably priced and durable enough to get the job done the new line of Grizzly broadheads does it.
Unlike the older versions, these ones are ground at a 25 degree bevel, so they can be made sharp relatively easy (at least when compared to the older ones that had the 22 degree bevel).
I have yet to have one that didn't install true on a steel adapter either. Hard steel, but they hold an edge once you get them there.

No need for $30 apiece broadheads.