Elk Arrow

Pawag

FNG
So I’m leaving for an elk hunt next month. I’ve changed to a much heavier arrow and increased my draw weight. I’m just wondering if this setup will be ok. Draw weight 66 lbs, 475g arrow, 28” shaft, 100g exudus head, FOC 11% and 267 fps. When I change to 125g heads, 500g arrow, FOC increases to 13% and speed decreases to 261 fps. 100’s group slightly better than the 125’s at 60 yards. My Triax is maxed out on draw weight. I can’t really change anything other than the head now. I just want your thoughts On which I should choose. Thanks.

Either one will work fine. Choose whichever you shoot better/have more confidence in and make sure your bow is tuned to that arrow.

Not that I'm suggesting you do anything to change draw weight this close to a hunt, but out of curiosity does your Triax have 60 or 70 lb limbs?

OP
P

Pawag

FNG
Either one will work fine. Choose whichever you shoot better/have more confidence in and make sure your bow is tuned to that arrow.

Not that I'm suggesting you do anything to change draw weight this close to a hunt, but out of curiosity does your Triax have 60 or 70 lb limbs?
60-70. I’m sure it only goes to 66 lbs now because it needs some twists in the string.

Holocene

WKR
+1 to what Beendare said. You are in the sweet spot.

If it were me, I would shoot the 100s to gain the speed and better grouping and forget chasing 2% in FOC. Improved trajectory (and accuracy!) will help you more in elk hunting.

Absolutely, you can twist your cables to regain a few pounds of draw weight and put the bow back in spec, but just keep in mind that will change other aspects of your shooting such as draw length, rest cord orientation, peep alignment, etc. You might not want to make all these adjustments with the hunt coming up.

If it were me, I'd shoot those 100s, triple check that they are tuned great, and go get your elk.