Elk at 500 yards with a .270?

I have no concerns about my marksmanship at 500 and beyond. I'm shooting Hornady ELD-X which have a checkered reputation. I've only had one bad experience where it didn't catch a rib on a whitetail at 300 yards and didn't expand at all. I would assume the hide of an elk would do enough to start that expansion.

My rifle is shooting about exactly what the numbers on the box says which would put me at about 1500 Ft/Lbs at 500 yards.

Is that going to be adequate assuming a behind the shoulder hit?

Wrench

WKR
It will to twice that.....as long as you do your part and don't expect massive blood trails.

350 yards 6mm Remington 90 gr. E-tip - one shot. Staggered 20 yards and tipped over. Bullet exited her left shoulder in the center. Son's first elk.

1593194103202.png

Your 270 should do just fine if you shoot it well. I'm partial to the Nosler Partitions, Accubonds, and E-tips. I have no experience with Hornady's except when I was a kid. Couldn't get them to shoot in my 6mm Remington.

OP
F
Is the speed at 500 enough to open the bullet? That is what you need to know.

Nearly 3000 FPS at the muzzle, 2100 FPS at 500.

The speed isn't going to be a problem. The issue I've heard with this round is that it doesn't open very well at close range because it's moving so fast.

The speed isn't going to be a problem. The issue I've heard with this round is that it doesn't open very well at close range because it's moving so fast.
That seems backwards to me. I believe it should open more at close range. As shown by recovered bullets from water jugs that is the case. They expand a little less at distance. Here's an example 90 gr. E-tip 6mm Remington at 3140 fps in my son's rifle with 22" barrel. The 100 gr. Partition is from my 1B with a 26" barrel. It is moving along at 3170 fps.

I see I didn't include range. It goes......25 yards. 100 yards. 300 yards. 400 yards

1593198264156.png

I don't have the Partition at 300 yards in the 6mm but I could tell you what it is going to look like.

hobbes

WKR
I can't give you much info on bullet selection, but why risk a bullet that you know has checkered reviews and you've had experience with failure. I was under the impression that 500 yds was a stretch already for a 270 and elk, so why combine that with less than an optimum bullet?

TxxAgg

WKR
That seems backwards to me. I believe it should open more at close range. As shown by recovered bullets from water jugs that is the case. They expand a little less at distance. Here's an example 90 gr. E-tip 6mm Remington at 3140 fps in my son's rifle with 22" barrel. The 100 gr. Partition is from my 1B with a 26" barrel. It is moving along at 3170 fps.

View attachment 192278

I don't have the Partition at 300 yards in the 6mm but I could tell you what it is going to look like.

I think it explodes at close range high speeds. It seems to do better at medium speed...hence proper expansion at range

Laramie

WKR
Nothing wrong with the ELDX or 500 yards from a 270 if you place your bullet properly. I am not a fan of the cooper bullets at all. I have been part of a lot of elk kills as a hunter and guide. Bonded lead bullets, imo, are the best option for all round performance at various ranges. Your ELDX will expand at 500 yards. At 100 yards and under, I would recommend staying off the shoulder as they can over expand causing limited penetration. Good luck to you!

JakeSCH

WKR
Nothing wrong with the ELDX or 500 yards from a 270 if you place your bullet properly. I am not a fan of the cooper bullets at all. I have been part of a lot of elk kills as a hunter and guide. Bonded lead bullets, imo, are the best option for all round performance at various ranges. Your ELDX will expand at 500 yards. At 100 yards and under, I would recommend staying off the shoulder as they can over expand causing limited penetration. Good luck to you!

Why are you against copper bullets? I agree that a bonded lead bullet can shock them, knock them down faster but on the flip side if it does hit a shoulder in these smaller diameter / lighter bullets it won’t penetrate and the animal is gone. Copper in theory can give you more shot angles because of the better Penetration.

I’m sure you have plenty more experience, just trying to learn since I’ve only used mono metals on elk.

Laramie

WKR
No offense taken at all - many guys love them. From my experience, you get fewer drt kills, and limited to no expansion at long range. Yes, they do retain their weight but it just doesn't hit them as hard from my experience. I have taken elk with them a couple times and been around other elk kills with them- same dead elk in the end, just typically a little longer death run and less blood trail on average.

For what it's worth, a 270 will cleanly punch through an elk shoulder at 500 yards with a 145/150 grain bonded lead bullet. Would it travel the length of an elks body? No clue as I haven't seen it attempted.

sneaky

"DADDY"

What load are you shooting out of a 270 that fast from the factory?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hornady Precision Hunter 145 ELD-X is 2790 at the muzzle. 2350 at 500.
He said "nearly 3000 at the muzzle". I wanna know what factory 270 load he's using. That's blazing fast for a factory 270 load.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk