Elk at 500 yards with a .270?

I can only share a little real world experience of a 6.5 creedmore at 400 yards when we recovered the bullet just under the skin in front of the opposite shoulder (was quartering away):

Wrench

WKR
One of the beautiful things about the 270 is every bullet is made for that velocity window. I'd be content with literally about any bullet at that range.

Reactions: FLS

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on round, I probably would not take that shot. Looking at factory loads, most are sub 1150 ft/lbs of energy at 500yds. Then again, I am a KE whore...

KineKilla

WKR
270 WIN is one of my favorites. It will do the job if you hit them in the vitals.

The long range bullets of all kinds are built to expand at lower velocities. 2100fps is not what I'd consider a lower velocity.

Because they're soft you can experience over-expansion at closer ranges. I wouldn't worry about it, the animal will still die.

Shoot to kill and share pics!

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
2 thoughts People that suggest you should break both shoulders..... would seem that you waste a lot of meat. and maybe if you subscribe to this shot, you should be shooting copper.
270 is a perfectly fine cartridge and fully capable of killing.... at least Jack O'Connor seemed to kill everything on multiple continents with it.

Wrench

WKR
2 thoughts People that suggest you should break both shoulders..... would seem that you waste a lot of meat. and maybe if you subscribe to this shot, you should be shooting copper.
270 is a perfectly fine cartridge and fully capable of killing.... at least Jack O'Connor seemed to kill everything on multiple continents with it.

Here's nearly twice as far as the op. I40gr cup and core bullet....notice the onside pencil hole....and offside chaos.IMAG0004_zps5fd87831.jpg

kcm2

WKR
I've killed a bunch at 330-400 yds with 130 partitions. As to 500, I have one data point with that bullet and yes, I had to backpack her out. As to the ELDX, I've had some issues with the 6mm versions expanding way too quickly so I'd suggest a different bullet.

Its got a lot more foot pounds at 500 yards with a 10 grain lighter bullet than a 6.5 creedmoor....something to think about.

You should be fine at that range. I would never recommend a mono metal bullet. A mono bullet will always have a lower retained energy for equal weight bullets and poor expansion at longer ranges. Anytime your bullet passes completely through an animal it has been less immediately leathal. It’s taking energy out the other side and relieving the hydraulic shock wave by cutting a hole for that energy to escape the body. It kills if it goes through vitals but unless you hit the central nervous system directly the animal is going to run some. A violently expanding bullet that penetrates the chest cavity but doesn’t exit the far side does devastating damage. The shockwave spreading from the bullet will expand in a wide cone as the bullet fragments and gives up its energy inside the vital organs. The shock wave causes a stunning effect to the central nervous system and the animal often drops instantly and by the time the nervous system starts to recover the massive blood loss and pressure drop keeps the animal down to complete death. I pick my shots and don’t expect nor want my bullet to pass through both shoulders. Even when you hit an animal back some in the liver or back of the lungs the hydraulic shock turns the organs to soup and the animal expires quickly. Almost every animal I have needed to track was a pass through. Retained weight is a marketing gimmick. Elk are not particularly tough bodied animals. They’re big is all. Unless you hit the shoulder ball you should penetrate fine. Always be ready to put another bullet in one if it’s still standing after the first shot. That goes for whatever you’re shooting an elk with , 243 or 500 nitro , if it’s still on it’s feet shoot it again !
Found the Hornaday shill

bmart2622

WKR
Yeah, but the Barnes bullet works and the Berger is a crap shoot. I've had more bullet failures with Berger's than all other bullet brands combined. I'll take a Barnes over a Berger any day of the week.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Can you elaborate what you saw that constituted a failure with a Berger?

bmart2622

WKR
At equal weight and velocity the copper/mono will generally have more energy at 500 yards due to additional velocity. This is because you get a higher bc at the same weight (larger volume). At equal dimensions you will generally get less energy due to lower weight. In thousands of tests, there is very little difference in lethality and meters travelled after the shot for equal weight mono and jacketed bullets. That applies to modern mono bullets.
Monometal bullets will always have a lower BC in equal weight bullets vs a lead core bullet

406angler

FNG
The issue I've heard with this round is that it doesn't open very well at close range because it's moving so fast.

The eldx will definitely open, more like disintegrate. I tried the eldx when they first came out and had nothing but bad experiences with their terminal performance. They’re cheap for a reason.
I also wouldn’t recommend pushing the 270 past 500 yards on elk, I have done it with accubonds, but it’s not wise, especially with a fragile and unpredictable bullet like an eldx. If you really want to gamble with that bullet, chronograph the load out of YOUR rifle, then shoot a water jug with some pork ribs in front of it at >500 yards. I bet you’ll see a big velocity and performance discrepancy. This should change your mind real quick about putting one in an elk that’s a third of a mile away. YMMV.

sjvcon

FNG
I have no concerns about my marksmanship at 500 and beyond. I'm shooting Hornady ELD-X which have a checkered reputation. I've only had one bad experience where it didn't catch a rib on a whitetail at 300 yards and didn't expand at all. I would assume the hide of an elk would do enough to start that expansion.

My rifle is shooting about exactly what the numbers on the box says which would put me at about 1500 Ft/Lbs at 500 yards.

Is that going to be adequate assuming a behind the shoulder hit?
Well, going by the numbers it "should" work. I tend to error on the side of caution. Just my preference. I feel pretty good at 1500 ft/lbs for elk. Feel really good at 1750 though.

2-Stix

WKR
Hornady has been running some really interesting podcasts I would look into. I use barnes personally, but the info is very very good.

Getting groups at 20-30 shots, true moa of guns, and all things bullets.

Episode 52, 57, and 64 were very interesting and informative for me.

This talks about this thread some.