elk backpack

bnsafe

WKR
My 24 year old daughter drew her first elk tag. I need a backpack for her but I dont need a 500 dollar one. We live in MO and she will prob use this thing once every few years at best. Plus she wont be able to pack 80 lbs of meat anyway. Any suggestions on something cheap or cheaper that works for you guys. I have a badlands 2200 I use, and a alps commander but it sucks. Might get her thru tho.

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
FYI GoHunt has a Memorial Day sale going on and there are some Mystery Ranch packs on sale and a few female ones.

mtnlomo

FNG
My cousin has the Kuiu Venture 1800. I think it sells for around $190. He’s stuck 1/3 of a mule deer in it, which for your daughter will do everything she can handle. Works great as a day pack for him. Might be worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
If she plans on helping out packing out several trips of boned meat I would say look for a pack capable of at least 5,000 cu in. Bags that are 5,000 or less aren't designed for heavier weight and will be super awkward and uncomfortable packing anything over around 25-30 lbs. A larger bag is collapsable but a small bag won't fit much.

Before I bought my Kifaru I used and abused an Arcterxy Bora 90. It really worked well. I bet you could pick one up almost new on Ebay, Craigslist, or a classified section for around $100. For the price it was tough to beat. I packed out quite a few deer, elk, moose, and sheep with it over the years.

pendo11

FNG
My 24 year old daughter drew her first elk tag. I need a backpack for her but I dont need a 500 dollar one. We live in MO and she will prob use this thing once every few years at best. Plus she wont be able to pack 80 lbs of meat anyway. Any suggestions on something cheap or cheaper that works for you guys. I have a badlands 2200 I use, and a alps commander but it sucks. Might get her thru tho.
CamoFire has M.R. right now for a good price

JNDEER

WKR
If the only thing the pack will be used for is packing meat (40-50lb)? and used only every few years... I would suggest just going to a local REI and getting fit for one of their packs. With thier discount coupons of 20% off probably can find a well fitted pack in the $200 range that will carry 40-50lb just fine for your daughter.

Randle

WKR
I would recommend A pop up of your Size and bag layout choice. It will do all she needs and haul as much as she will want to carry. and then haul a small load of meat out also

BlackOvis.com has the MR Women's Pop Up 28 on sale today $243 with free shipping. It's a fantastic day pack, with a meat shelf. As others have stated, she can choose to not carry a haul out load at all, or she can haul as much as she feels comfortable with up to about 60# or so.

If she plans on helping out packing out several trips of boned meat I would say look for a pack capable of at least 5,000 cu in. Bags that are 5,000 or less aren't designed for heavier weight and will be super awkward and uncomfortable packing anything over around 25-30 lbs. A larger bag is collapsable but a small bag won't fit much.

Before I bought my Kifaru I used and abused an Arcterxy Bora 90. It really worked well. I bet you could pick one up almost new on Ebay, Craigslist, or a classified section for around $100. For the price it was tough to beat. I packed out quite a few deer, elk, moose, and sheep with it over the years.
Bag size doesn't matter with any pack that's equipped with a load shelf.

BlackOvis.com has the MR Women's Pop Up 28 on sale today $243 with free shipping. It's a fantastic day pack, with a meat shelf. As others have stated, she can choose to not carry a haul out load at all, or she can haul as much as she feels comfortable with up to about 60# or so.
That’s probably the very best option. My wife has one, it’s great

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks a ton guys. I saw the bags on camofire and was wondering about the pop up. seems like it might be the way to go.

tdot

WKR
You could also consider a frame such as the Seek Outside Revolution. Something that is light, built in meat shelf and cargo strap system, super adjustable for smaller frames people, yet has the ability to carry 5lbs or 155lbs comfortably. Strap any day bag that you already own onto it. It's very comfortable/flexible in day pack mode, so it's not tiring to wear, unlike some stiffer freighter frames. You'd also be able to use it, any time she's not using it.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
I bought a pop up 28 of camofire yest. it will work at least for this year and be a great back up bag in the future if its not the go to bag. thanks guys, appreciate it.

Kifaru 14r try to grab a used one very comfortable with the way the lumbar pad and belt allow your hips to move freely