Elk Basecamp Gear you must have

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Revive for new ideas!

Something I did last year is pre cook breakfast potatoes with jalapenos and onions, sausage, and vac sealed. On a day we were stormed in, I cut open the bag, drop in frying pan along with some fresh eggs. It was a nice morale boost.
I do the same for as much of the dinner meals as I can, to save time and energy after humping all day.

NB7

WKR
This year I'm throwing in a handful of cheap solar landscape lights to set near the outer tent pegs for when it's dark

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
This year I'm throwing in a handful of cheap solar landscape lights to set near the outer tent pegs for when it's dark
Good call!!! I can't tell you how many times I've tripped on the pegs. My luck I'd get hurt in camp, and not on 4 mile packout with 80 pounds....

gman82001

WKR
Our base camp is a camper and we have a generator so we drag a smaller chest freezer along it keeps our ice and food for later in the trip but if we ever need to we can toss elk quarters in to cool them down faster. Havent had to yet because they cool ok in the shade hanging up in the mountains but if we drew a good desert tag that’s definitely what we’d do

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
We’ve gone all out with a camper and brought a few folding tables and a meat grinder. Processed a cow and two deer at camp. Made life much easier when we got home. Also bring a nerf football to toss around.