Elk books?

groc426

FNG
This will be my first year hunting elk and looking for some good books to educate myself with. I'll be hunting rifle for now, if that makes a difference. Any good recommendations?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Elk hunting the West is a good basic start.

Elknuts book,The Playbook is a must have IMO.

Ryan is spot on. Get the Elknut Playbook. Elk hunting the West is also good.

Corey Jacobson has a new DVD coming out called University of Elk Hunting that looks like it should be good, too.

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
Elknuts playbook for sure. I also liked bowhunting modern Elk by Patrick Meitin.

Edelweiss

FNG
If you are ever looking for a book on hunting Africa, I would highly recommend Capstick's "Death in the Long Grass".

huntography

Lil-Rokslider
I love Elk Nuts Playbook and calling DVD. As a new elk hunter myself, Paul does an amazing job of breaking down the Elks language, knowing what they are saying and how to best respond.

The book and DVD complement each other well.

Highly recommend it.

Rudy

crumy

WKR
Did someone mention Elknut? :D New to it and after watching reading was able to key in on two bull elk this year. One or wife and one for son

OP
G

groc426

FNG
Looks like I will be definitely picking up elknut. Good to hear there is such a large consensus on it. I'll also be checking out the others. Thanks everyone!

ElkNut1

WKR
Guys thanks for your recommendation of the PlayBook, glad to see it's well thought of. For those considering it you'll notice nearly every sound an elk makes is mentioned in the Book. (Bulls & Cows) The Book defines each sound & helps hunters to understand the message elk are relating to one another under varying situations & rutting phases. If some are unaware of the many sounds elk use then you may want to consider the Sounds By The Elk CD along with the Book. This CD has all the sounds referred to in the Book, this way when you come to an unfamiliar sound discussed in the Book you can listen to it on the CD to become familiar with it & it's identity. The two go hand in hand. The sounds are on separate tracks so you can choose individual sounds out as you see the need without listening to the whole CD. It also comes with an MP3 disc that can be downloaded onto any player or Iphone. Just some food for thought. Thanks.

ElkNut1