Elk boots that are not boots....

Anyone wearing shoes like the Soloman Hiking shoes and not a traditional pair of leather Boots Elk hunting? I have a nice pair of leathers but looking an alternate. Seems like guys were wearing the Soloman Hikers a few years back...

mlgc20

WKR
If I'm doing a fast and light evening hunt from the truck, I will often just wear my New Balance trail runners.

I’m with you! I love the meindl light hikers for everything including Wyoming.Still leather, but untra comfortable. I’ve also used the Solomon Trail shoes and even some merrell in AZ where it’s super flat.

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
I have found the high-top trail runners (Solomon gore-Tex GTX) to be my go-to early season boot. They aren’t perfect in rough terrain, but the weight and fit are the upsides. I’ve been on recent training hikes with more robust boots and the weight reminds me how much I love the trail runner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n8saki

FNG
Used Hoka GTX Mid trails on my last hunt and felt it was a little too hot and squishy - going with non- gtx Altra King 2.0 Trail this year. Early archery Elk NM.

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Either Lems boulder boot or vevo barefoot Primus no matter what the terrain. Love the minimalist shoes. So much lighter and manuverable.

RCB

WKR
I wear a pair of Merrell Moab mids all the way into late season, which I think of as between a boot and a shoe. Not as light as trail runners but a good deal lighter and more comfy than the premium European mountaineering boots.

mmac

WKR
Depends on where you are hunting and the terrain. If steep rocky canyons or lots of grass and undergrowth where you could roll an ankle easily, I would say boots. Here in Arizona where a lot of places don't have as thick grass in trees and we are no where near as steep as others, easily get by with trail runners or light hikers.

nsparks

FNG
Five Ten Guide Tennies work well when doing lots of rock scrambling. Just watch out for the bear grass!

Joyce

FNG
Take a look at Garmont Dragontails. I’ve got a pair of the LT version that I use in summer. They aren’t waterproof and the sole is much more of an approach shoe; softer, tackier and not good for mud. I’ve got a pair of the MNT GTX that I wear all the time. Waterproof, stiff sole, good mud traction and still very tacky on rock when scrambling. They’ve also held up very well. I’ll be buying a second pair of the MNT if they ever look like they’re wearing out.

PhilipC

FNG
For early season I use Salomon Sense Pro 4’s and they’re great. Very breathable and light and no blisters. I wear Kuiu gaiters over them to keep stones out and I’ve hiked to 11k feet in them over some rough stuff no problem. I do run trails with them too so my feet are well conditioned to them and I don’t feel like I need the extra ankle support or a boot. I have a pair of Crispi Thor’s as well and use them when the pack gets real heavy on multi day trips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a used pair of Solomon X Ultra Trek GTX off ebay last year for around $90. Super lightweight and comfy. Haven't leaked yet after 65+ miles last year in CO and I frequently wear them around home.

Just because it works for me though, doesn't mean it will work for you. Sometimes you just have to try things out to see if it works.

I only wear minimalist shoes and boots these days, i have several pairs of vivobarefoots and like them alot. The trackers are just not up to snuff for the abuse i typically put on them while hunting. They have started leaking or fallen apart on any serious hunt ive worn them on. They have a great warranty and customer service and have literally replaced my same pair of trackers like 8 times though.
I bit the bullet and ordered a custom pair of the Russell moccasin thula thulas and i basically live in them between working construction and hunting. Fit like a glove and are actually waterproof.
Only cons to them are the extensive amount of measurements they make you send them, the cost of a hand made boot, and there lead time was about 3 months lol. The prices are basically on par with the other non-custom mountain boot brands it seems

SO WORTH IT TO ME, i will definitely be getting a pair of the south 40 birdshooters with insulation and a toe cap for myself for harsh winter temps and eventually a pair of each for my wife as well. They keep your measurements on file for like 10 years so luckily you only have to measure everything once