Elk Broadheads

mww982

WKR
Planning an elk trip this fall and between these three broadheads to use; slick trick viper tricks, magnus black hornets, or tooth of the arrow (regular or XL), which would you use? Arrows I will be using are Day Six's at about 580 grains.

TheTone

WKR
I’ve seen elk killed with both the black hornets and viper tricks and wouldn’t hesitate to use either. No experience with the tooth of the arrows.

There were some people reporting some quality/fit issues with viper tricks on another site last year, basically a gap between the metal ring and back of the blades, looked like slick trick said it was normal but I thought it looked like crap and a potential problem

No bad choices there. another try is kudu contour plus. not bad price and fly better than QAD exodus from my testing

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
Tooth of the arrow solids, I really liked the size of holes the xl 175 left last year in fact I don’t think I would have recovered my bull without the blood trails they opened up. Slick tricks post sell have had mixed reviews I wouldn’t chance it.

Fullfan

WKR
Have also killed bulls with the Black hornets and the viper tricks. The bulls never knew they had been hit. Had two die within sight. Buy both and see which shoots the best for you.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Viper tricks are on the bottom of my list right now. There is a small gap between the washer and the bottom of the ferrule when I tighten them down. I researched this but heard that slick trick said this is normal but I don't like that it is there.

Tested all 4 broadheads at 20 yards and all hit with my field points. Got my Spot Hogg, Hoggfather sight sighted in this weekend and will test them all at 30 and 40 yards to see how they hit and go from there. I will say that I am leaning towards the QAD, TOTAS, or Black Hornets in that order.

Great list there, I’ve only taken a few bull elk and dabbled in a bunch of different heads, but the QAD did awesome on 2 of them and I’m going back. Done paying for overpriced single bevels.

Syng2015

FNG
What's the speed of your arrows? At 560, unless you're drawing 60# or less, you can use roughly whatever you want.

Some broadheads perform differently at different speeds and momentum values. It's baked into the geometry of the design. Slower arrows need a more narrow point, and probably a little thinner. Single bevel or two blade heads have an advantage at the low 200s that just doesn't exist at nearly 300fps.

Windy environment? Narrow points and high FOC. Dead calm and close range? Doesn't matter, just aim for the vitals. It's a balancing act against the extremes of your environment.

And no, there's no way to prove it without buying it and testing it yourself. There are no constants set for use in Poncelet's equation yet, and it's not practical to do so.

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend a broadhead that allows for 2 holes....your K.E will dictate the broadhead size and amount of blades.

I am starting to lean towards a 2-blade style, single bevel, and higher quality steel to maintain an edge.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I’ll have Exodus or Magnus Buzzcuts on my arrows this fall. I know neither of those were on your list. Black Hornets if sticking with your list.

acesand8s

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt with Tooth of the arrow. They fly really well for me, I like that I can sharpen them easily with they stone and they sell practice heads.

CMKRobot

FNG
I am just getting started with bow hunting and planning my first Elk hunt this fall. Thank you for all the broadhead suggestions

I shot several broadheads through my bow this past weekend. Montec vented G5, Montec solid M3, stinger killer bees, annihilators, and slick trick viper trick. all 125's. the slick trick viper trick shot the best out of my bow, from 30-50 yards. I was rooting for one of the others to shoot best, but I need to be objective, the slick trick viper trick will be in my quiver this year. I noticed the gap between the metal washer ring and the backside of the blades, but everything was tight.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder if @Bowhuntr64 would do a good thorough test of the Viper Trick? Especially the current version that folks are reporting have that gap in between the blades and washer.

He did test the wicked trick, in stainless, which appears to have the same ferrule, but maybe the non-stainless is actually tougher.