Elk Broadheads

Planning an elk trip this fall and between these three broadheads to use; slick trick viper tricks, magnus black hornets, or tooth of the arrow (regular or XL), which would you use? Arrows I will be using are Day Six's at about 580 grains.
Any of those are great choices. I'd go with the TOTA XL Solid for shots under 50 yds and TOTA 1" Solid for longer shots...keep both in your quiver. There are lots of other great choices as well. You can see tests of all those heads and many more on my YouTube Channel: Lusk Archery Adventures.

Reactions: Zac
OP
M

mww982

WKR
Any of those are great choices. I'd go with the TOTA XL Solid for shots under 50 yds and TOTA 1" Solid for longer shots...keep both in your quiver. There are lots of other great choices as well. You can see tests of all those heads and many more on my YouTube Channel: Lusk Archery Adventures.

Based on what flew best for me, The 1" TOTA's and the QAD Exodus are going to be in my quiver.

DeePow

FNG
Tooth of the arrow solids, I really liked the size of holes the xl 175 left last year in fact I don’t think I would have recovered my bull without the blood trails they opened up. Slick tricks post sell have had mixed reviews I wouldn’t chance it.
By solid, do you mean their new S-Series? I’ve used the V-Series for the past six years and would love to try the new ‘S’ out but my shop doesn’t carry them. The TotA site doesn’t really elaborate on the differences. Have you noticed any drastic difference in how the two models shoot?

nphunter

WKR
Planning an elk trip this fall and between these three broadheads to use; slick trick viper tricks, magnus black hornets, or tooth of the arrow (regular or XL), which would you use? Arrows I will be using are Day Six's at about 580 grains.

I would use the black hornets, magnus are hard to beat and are great heads and a great company. Personally, I would avoid heads with large surface area, it will be hard to find a better flying head than those black hornets. Kudu is another good recommendation, I would personally avoid large multiple blades fixed heads they are not as forgiving as two-blade heads and since you are a new hunter you want all the forgiveness you can get.

It would be interesting to know your draw length and draw weight, if you are shooting that heavy of an arrow with a typical setup 65-70lbs and 28-30" draw I would personally shoot a smaller mechanical, something like dead meat, sevr or a grim reaper. Mechanicals perform excellently when placed on the front of a heavy arrow with good momentum, they are also very forgiving which is a huge benefit as a new hunter.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
I would use the black hornets, magnus are hard to beat and are great heads and a great company. Personally, I would avoid heads with large surface area, it will be hard to find a better flying head than those black hornets. Kudu is another good recommendation, I would personally avoid large multiple blades fixed heads they are not as forgiving as two-blade heads and since you are a new hunter you want all the forgiveness you can get.

It would be interesting to know your draw length and draw weight, if you are shooting that heavy of an arrow with a typical setup 65-70lbs and 28-30" draw I would personally shoot a smaller mechanical, something like dead meat, sevr or a grim reaper. Mechanicals perform excellently when placed on the front of a heavy arrow with good momentum, they are also very forgiving which is a huge benefit as a new hunter.
28" in draw length, 65 lbs. 27.25" arrow. Not a new hunter by any means. Been shooting archery and hunting for over 20 years, just new to the western big game aspect of hunting. Not a fan of mechanicals personally and prefer a fixed head. Tested the Magnus Black Hornet ser Razors, Slick Trick Vipers, TOTA's and QAD Exodus out of my setup. The TOTA's and QAD's flew the best for me so that's how I narrowed it down to those.

Also switched my arrows up to VAP TKO's, coming in at right around 450 grains. The 530 arched too much for my liking when shooting.

nphunter

WKR
28" in draw length, 65 lbs. 27.25" arrow. Not a new hunter by any means. Been shooting archery and hunting for over 20 years, just new to the western big game aspect of hunting. Not a fan of mechanicals personally and prefer a fixed head. Tested the Magnus Black Hornet ser Razors, Slick Trick Vipers, TOTA's and QAD Exodus out of my setup. The TOTA's and QAD's flew the best for me so that's how I narrowed it down to those.

Also switched my arrows up to VAP TKO's, coming in at right around 450 grains. The 530 arched too much for my liking when shooting.

The VAP TKO's are great arrows, I'm shooting 73lbs, 28" with a 26.75" arrow, it's 500gr at 278fps and they are very lethal on anything they hit. I'm also color blind and up until 3 years ago all the animals I had killed were with fixed heads. OR started allowing expandables and I switched and will never go back to a fixed head, the mechanicals has performed great for me on elk and leave much better blood trials which relieve a lot of stress off of me not being able to see blood well.

Luked

WKR
I havw zero experience with Elk. But have used Slick Tricks for years and never had an issue with them personally. I have been using the aviper atrick here at home just for whitetail for thr last 3 years and have not seen any of the issues about there being a gap. Mine fly great so that's what I'll be taking with me this year to CO

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk