elk bugle call Berry thunder bugle

Archer428

FNG
looking for a bugle option with an external reed system

I have looked at the Glen Berry Thunder Bugle tube. Is this option a good option?

Are there better alternatives?

Possible the Phelps Metal Bugle with the External EZ Bugler?

Yes I know that using a diaphragm mouth call would probably be better. I can work a turkey mouth call just fine. but I do not feel I have the practice time I would need in the next 3 weeks to be proficient in using one for elk.

So I am looking at just an external reed system call. What would you go with?

Thunder bugle is a great bugle. It is very loud, and seems to get responses that other bugles won’t get. I haven’t heard a mouthreed/bugle tube that can get the sound to carry as far as a thunder bugle. Get the original one, not the newer one with the

There is definitely a perception that the external reed means you are a beginner elk hunter, or don’t know how to call. Me and the couple buddies I have that use this bugle have great success using it in all the same scenarios people use a mouthreed/bugle tube.

To me it really stands above the rest for locating bulls. One you have them located and have moved in closer, I’m not really sure it matters what tube you have.
Lots of the bulls I hear each year don’t sound like the textbook elk bugle.

I think once you are in close it’s all about either bugles or cow calling when appropriate, kicking rocks, breaking sticks, or raking a tree. You have to know when the situation calls for all these different things, and also what different tones to use when calling in a situation. Sometimes you have to be very passive, sometimes berry aggressive. Lots of the times you have to start out passive, and work your way up to super aggressive as the bull gets more and more worked up from your calls.

Time and time again I have been with someone doing location bugles with a mouthreed with no response. After nothing with their quieter bugle I bugle very loud , and got answers from across a canyon.

We all get our opportunity on a bull each and every year in otc units, so it definitely works fine for us.

TheTone

WKR
Used one for years until I finally figured out diaphragms. It’s a darn good option

Used one for years until I finally figured out diaphragms. It’s a darn good option
Curious if you think your success went up since switching to the diaphragm, or what advantage the diaphragm call gives you over the thunder bugle?

Rob5589

WKR
I use one. Easy to use, plenty loud, easy to swap reeds. My bugling leaves a lot to be desired but ot gets the job done. I'd really prefer a mouth reed but haven't found one that fits my pallet yet.

Been using mouth reeds lately but have located many bulls with a power bugle. Like the fact they can be purchased in brick and morter and so can the replacement bands.

ElkNut1

WKR
Without a doubt the best combination is the one that works for you! (grin)

For me it's a mouth reed & bugle. I can locate bulls a mile away where terrain allows. I've located 1000's of bulls with this combo, I've not relied on a bite & blow bugle before but do know they can work. Use what offers you the best confidence! Bugles are for Locating, talking to elk is for the killing! When hunters figure this out they will rarely burn a tag!

ElkNut