Elk bugle tubes... is bigger better?

Aboyer35

FNG
I am new to elk calling and was wondering what everyone’s thoughts were on bugle tubes. What does the size of the tube do? What are your thought on the Phelps un-rival-ed bugle tube? It’s smaller compared to renegade, unleashed or RM’s bully bull tube and does that matter? what works for you?

Last edited:
I have the elknut tube and did a comparison last season with a buddy that had the phelps tube. You might be able to get a little more volume out of the phelps, but nothing noteworthy. If you're good with the diaphragms the tube won't make a huge difference

Ive always wondered this. I have the Phelps tube and sometimes I think about going to something smaller just because it can be so dang big sometimes. Ive never done any comparison but like mentioned, I dont think it makes much difference for those that are good with diaphrams.

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
Better? No. More volume (louder) for your call, I would agree with that. I think at distance it is more considerable. But that may depend on which ones you are comparing. Some have different back pressures but that comes down to design.

Last edited:
I have used the ElkNut bugle for the past two seasons (it’s no longer in production though ). Had a friend pick up a Phelps Tube and I concur with above. I think the Phelps Tube amplified the sound a little more. But the sound quality still depends on the quality of the sound from the mouth reed. One thing I would pay attention to is the size of the mouth end of the bugle. Some people lip bawl better with the smaller opening; some with the bigger opening. That’s something worth vetting before hand to see what works best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
I've actually been looking at the smaller primos unrivaled tube. I like my RMGC Bully Bull a lot, but it is good sized.

Jbehredt

WKR
The small Phelps is SMALL. I think I can hear a difference. Perception is reality so I had a little buyers remorse about the third time I blew into the tiny Phelps. Never have carried it.

BullElk

FNG
One thing I would pay attention to is the size of the mouth end of the bugle. Some people lip bawl better with the smaller opening; some with the bigger opening. That’s something worth vetting before hand to see what works best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ll second that!

ShakeDown

WKR
I have the little Phelps tube, Rocky Mtn Bully Bull and just picked up the Renegade by Phelps. To me, it is actually pretty shocking how little the Unrivaled gives up. Resonance, depth and volume are all greater on the big tubes, but not as much as I would have guessed.

And it is super clutch to stuff the little tube into your cargo pocket and go.

I always let the elk decide which is best as I test new tubes every year, and I always end up with my original Elknut Chuckler.......the first one. But I modified it a little bit, and the bigger bulls seem to like that.

I did a slight modification to mine as well. I like that this tube is flexible.

GregB

WKR
When I was growing up all the bugle tubes were 2 inch wide pieces of flexible plastic with a reed. They worked to call in bulls. I think more important than tube size is knowing what the elk are saying and understanding how to respond. The elk nut app is a great tool for learning those things.

wapitibob

WKR
I threw 6 tubes in the trash yesterday when cleaning the man room; 2 Rocky mt, elknut, mossback, and a cpl I don't know the name of. They weren't "bad" just not the sound I needed and were taking up space. Go to Walgreens and buy a wiffle ball bat for $3.99. Cut the sleeve off an old camo shirt and use spray adhesive to glue it to the tube. Cut the ends and you're golden.

Last edited:

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
I threw 6 tubes in the trash yesterday when cleaning the man room; 2 Rocky mt, elknut, mossback, and a cpl I don't know the name of. They weren't "bad" just not the sound I needed and were taking up space. Go to Walgreens and buy a wiffle ball bat for $3.99. Cut the sleeve off an old camo shirt and use spray adhesive to glue it to the tube. Cut the ends and you're golden.

Threw em in the trash and bought a wiffle ball bat? I understand if you didn't have any calls and started with the wiffle ball bat...

ElkNut1

WKR
My Son & I have called in over 1000 bulls with a variety of Bugles, all will work as long as the caller does his part!

With that said the larger Phelps Bugle is getting the nod this year by us. I've been toying with it for a week or so & it has excellent resonance & tone quality! That Bugle coupled with the Gray Amp is our choice this year. We used the calls last year & they were awesome!

ElkNut/Paul