Elk Bugles questions and opinions

Tsnider

WKR
Looking to get something a new tube. I see Phelps has a new one out, but also have looked at the Bully Bull and Bully Bull Extreme. Are all of these tubes around the same weight? Im going to be is some big areas id like to have my sound reach out to this year.

Phelps, lots of hype around them but i cant seem to tell if its just good advertisement.

The Bugling Bull stuff seems to have proved itself. I read the Bully bull mouth piece is small but i do like the ability to dial it down a bit.

Any other suggestions other than carve out a whiffle ball bat? Thanks guys. This will be for packing in too, but really i see it as an acceptable weight penalty.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This will be for packing in too, but really i see it as an acceptable weight penalty.

Of course it is. I'd rather leave my bow in the truck than my bugle tube. And they really don't weigh much anyway. I have Elknut's Chuckler (his newer one) I'll sell you for $25. It's like new.

elkyinzer

WKR
The bully bull mouthpiece got a revamp sometime in the past 3 years. Mine (3 years old) has a smaller mouthpiece. My dad bought two last summer and gave me one. They did improve the shape, it's now concave like a trumpet mouthpiece. But it's also like 3x bigger and I can't get comfortable with it, pressure is different. I liked the smaller mouthpiece better but with the shape it is now.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got two of the Extreme's this year, love it. I also really like the Threat, I used that all year last year.

Bully Bull, Phelps and Elknut are all similarly shaped and all sound great. I have an older Bully Bull and newer Elknut, and usually take the Elknut because the mouth opening fits me better. As was mentioned though, the Bully Bull now has a wider mouth opening as well.

You could flip a coin since all are good choices. What's going to matter more is your calling ability and saying the right thing at the right time.

Bully bull is a great system with your diaphragm of choice. I carry a few diaphragms as some are better cow sounds than bugles, but mostly in case one breaks. They have a new tube out no that utilizes a spring in the front to get a deeper louder longer scream. I think it is the smallest version they have as well.
I didn't get it just cause I don't think it is smaller enough and my old one has worked well so why bother.

I personally have never tried the Phelps

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
The new Phelps bugle is heavier then the others listed. I have them all. I do know Phelps put a lot into having this new bugle designed and made. He was not willing to make any sacrifice in order to get the weight down and for me I am glad he did not. The other bugles I have are very hollow sounding and magnify and sound of any thing it bumps. The Phelps is heavy/thick enough not to do this. That sound I don't believe one would call in a bull that the other could not. All get the job down well and are loud. Elknuts is the lightest but sounds pretty big when it needed but I will be using the Phelps this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone used the "The THREAT Elk Grunt Tube" from rocky mountain calls?

Newberg had Rockie on his podcast and it sounded like a cool idea, just wondering how well it works having a spring in the tube.

ElkNut1

WKR
A Bugle is only as good as its user! If you do your part you will have little issue with their performance! Calling elk is not how big can you sound in every instance but is more about using the right sound at the right time. Pick a bugle that is simple, moving parts are not needed to produce big or small bull sounds. This is done by the caller regardless of Bugle used. A hunter can use high volume airflow or low volume air flow along with reed management, this is what controls the sounds you emit from small to big out of most bugles. Keep it simple & put in your practice & you will gain the needed confidence to use when needed during your elk hunt!

5Mile, you have the last years model of the Chuckler EL, it weighs 6.6-oz & is under 19-1/2" long. The New one for 2017 is 19-3/4" & weighs 7.2-oz -- The main difference between the two is the main barrel length of the new one is 3-3/4" longer than the 2016 model. The 2016 model has a longer funnel part than the new one which can be seen in the photo. The New one has very quality sounds to it over the 2016 model. Too, notice the mouth-piece opening, the new model is 1-3/8" & the old one is 1-1/4" -- It may not sound like much but it is a big difference with mouth reed users & it's overall sound performance!

ElkNut1

Attachments

• DSCN2855.jpg
    DSCN2855.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN2858.jpg
    DSCN2858.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 70