Elk bullet despair.

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
I have friends wondering if they will be able to kill an elk this year because they will have to use less than a premium bullet. I also use premium bullets(Nosler accubonds, Federal ascents) and wish they were easier or even possible to find. Trying to assure them they will be able to kill elk with common bullets I remind them we started out using corelocks then switched to Nosler solid bases and then ballistic tips. Looking back I killed more elk with 150 grain 7mm Nosler ballistic tip bullets than any other. They all died fast. We may have to be a bit more careful on placement but elk will die to these softer bullets.

Jonesry09

Lil-Rokslider
If you have the recipes or factory load data from the ammo you like, there are places that you can have make your bullets online (that have accubonds etc in stock). Sure they are custom and a few dollars more but its a small price to pay for confidence when looking through the scope in my mind.

Firestone

WKR
From age 12 to when I started reloading in my early 20s I killed everything with 165gr rem core lokts in a 30-06. Including many elk and even moose. So yeah I think you can kill elk with something that doesn't cost 50-80 bucks a box

I have friends wondering if they will be able to kill an elk this year because they will have to use less than a premium bullet. I also use premium bullets(Nosler accubonds, Federal ascents) and wish they were easier or even possible to find. Trying to assure them they will be able to kill elk with common bullets I remind them we started out using corelocks then switched to Nosler solid bases and then ballistic tips. Looking back I killed more elk with 150 grain 7mm Nosler ballistic tip bullets than any other. They all died fast. We may have to be a bit more careful on placement but elk will die to these softer bullets.
It’s a good idea to always be a bit more careful with shot placement, regardless of bullet type.

My buddy insisted on buying the cheapest Federal blue box 150's for his 7mm Mag when I took him elk hunting. I told him at those velocities, that bullet would explode if it hit bone and he just blew me off. A few days later he lucked out and spined a bull at 400 yards. When he walked up on the bull, it was still alive and he shot it again, in the shoulder. When we quartered that bull, there were lead and copper fragments all over the place. Neither bullet came close to exiting. He's incredibly fortunate that he spined that bull on the first shot. Where it was, and that time of day with a nasty storm rolling in, we never would have found that bull otherwise. Of course, he got lucky so he said "see I told you so." LOL That's just how he is.

I don't understand using cheap ammo on elk at all when everything else costs so much. It's the one thing that is going to actually do the job you're paying and preparing to do.

JakeSCH

WKR
Almost anything will work going through the ribs into the vitals. Need something a little heavier or tougher to go through shoulder and if you really want to take steep quartering away shots go for mono's to go through the paunch into vitals.

Bullet choice & caliber is more about shot angles and distance to make it happen. There are caviats in understanding max / min impact velocities as well. Taking shots within the limits makes for better likely hood of success.

hobbes

WKR
Oh come on. Really? Despair? They don't have armor plating and their lungs turn to mush and bleed like heck like any other with a big hole in it. Core Lok bullets will kill an elk any day of the week.

Except Montana elk, if you can't find premium bullets I'd recommend going to Colorado this year. :)

My buddy insisted on buying the cheapest Federal blue box 150's for his 7mm Mag when I took him elk hunting. I told him at those velocities, that bullet would explode if it hit bone and he just blew me off. A few days later he lucked out and spined a bull at 400 yards. When he walked up on the bull, it was still alive and he shot it again, in the shoulder. When we quartered that bull, there were lead and copper fragments all over the place. Neither bullet came close to exiting. He's incredibly fortunate that he spined that bull on the first shot. Where it was, and that time of day with a nasty storm rolling in, we never would have found that bull otherwise. Of course, he got lucky so he said "see I told you so." LOL That's just how he is.

I don't understand using cheap ammo on elk at all when everything else costs so much. It's the one thing that is going to actually do the job you're paying and preparing to do.

I dont understand how he got lucky unless you're talking about the fact that he made a fatal impact at 400 yards. If your friend would have instead shot under the spine, that explosion would have happened in the boiler room and killed at least as effectively (probably quicker) as a tougher "premium" bullet. If he missed above the spine, it would have made a bigger mess of the backstrap than a premium bullet but he would have had a better chance of the rapid fragmentation taking out the spine. The only way he "got lucky" is he didn't hit it exactly in the toughest spot of the shoulder that MIGHT have prevented it from getting to the vitals.

sick_lids

FNG
Guys still killing them with wood arrows. Almost all bullets properly placed will get it done.

Rich M

WKR

Love it!

Non-premium bullets are gonna bounce right off! LOL! Sounds like yer buddies just want to jabber about something. Tell em yer gonna kill an elk with a Core Lokt and then go do it.

id450

WKR
Don’t stress on it to much. Just make sure it’s the right kind of bullet for the job. This is a great resource that could dial you in . https://exomtngear.com/blogs/podcast/070
It’s the hunt back county podcast Episode 70. Back country rifle series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stalker69

WKR
If they want premium bullets look at hammers and PVA Cayuga bullets. They are in stock you just need to reload them, I would think someone you know reloads, hopefully.