Elk Bullet for 300 WSM at 400 Yards or Less?

BCD

WKR
I'll be going on my first elk hunt this year with a Browning HC Speed in 300 WSM. I'm looking at three bullets:

Barnes Vortex 165 Grain
HSM Berger 185 Grain
Nosler Trophy Grade Accubond 180 grain

All shots will be 400 yards or less (realistically closer to 300 yards and less). Assuming all 3 of the above choices shoot well (I have already verified that the Barnes and HSM do), what bullet would you choose based on terminal performance? I was about to go with the HSM Berger but some of the stories regarding terminal performance are making me reconsider.

Thanks in advance for your responses!!

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
Easy choice in my ming.. Accubonds.. Then Barnes.. Did and done.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
Try the 190 accubonds. I have a buddy with the same gun as you and we played with several rounds until we found the 190’s. Shoot sub moa and he’s put plenty of meat on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forest

WKR
Accubond or barnes get my vote. Berger and close range dont go together imo

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

at that range whatever your rifle likes best. The Berger, at least imo, is designed to excel as a longer range bullet, and probably has some trade offs compared with the other two you mention at shorter distances (there usually is no free lunch). That said, if you put the bullet where it needs to go no elk will likely know the difference.

Reactions: zog

danarnold

WKR
Nosler Trophy Grade Accubond 180 grain were significantly more accurate thru my tikka, I used the same cartridge in my 7mm-08 on a very large mule deer @ just over 200 yards this year with great success.
def not apples to apples but I'm a fan of the trophy grade

Wrench

WKR
You're too close for a match bullet to shine...I'd introduce the 165/168 bonded or Barnes into my options. It's a little flatter and packs plenty of steam.

EmperorMA

WKR
At those ranges your main concern will be how a bullet holds up at <100 yards. Whenever that is the issue, the easy answer is Barnes.

88man

FNG
I am a berger shooter, however inside 400 yrds go with the accubond it will be perfect for what you are doing. Move on and stop thinking about bullets and work on your hunt logistics etc.

ericF

WKR
Another vote for Barnes. I load the 168gr ttsx for my 300 wsm and it has done well as my main elk gun for 8 years.

Barnes. I have killed plenty with the 168 ttsx in 300 wsm. I have also seen some "failures" of the Bergers..... I know that's heresy to some Berger fans, but they all were on close (less than 200 yd) shots where I suspect the impact velocity was too high. No experience with accubonds.