Elk burger

Solheim

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious how people are grinding their elk burger straight, beef mix, bacon or what ever.

Bacon ends and pieces always. When I haven’t had bacon I’ve used pork shoulders and even beef brisket when it was cheap.

I will do straight. Also I will do bacon but it adds flavor, which is good or bad depending on what you want. If you dig around you can find a but that will get you pork or beef fat trimming. Make sure it isn’t tallow. I like both. Beef fat changes the flavor less imo.

10% beef fat. I've heard that adding pork fat can cause burger to become rancid in the freezer after about 6 months.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Straight. I also cook my elk burgers medium rare.

I know where all my game meat is coming from, how it was processed, and how it was cared for. I certainly wouldn't want to add something to it that might contaminate it or make it taste bad.

Last edited:

CoHiCntry

WKR
Straight… used to add beef fat, but quit doing that ten years or so ago. I go straight on all my game meat.

Seth

WKR
Always straight for all game meat and my family eats the ground before the steaks are gone

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have two types of burger grind. Straight for burger that’s going into spaghetti, chili. I really didn’t like bacon or fat mixed in for this. If I plan on making burgers then about 5-10% fat….and jalapeños.