Elk burger

I do something similar to Tony. I make a straight batch for mixing later or adding into heavily sauced or seasoned dishes and add 15% beef fat for my burger packages. I get the beef fat from a chef friend of mine at a local high-end restaurant. I still cook them medium to medium rare and have never had any ill effects. I am gonna try the jalapenos though, thanks.

MJB

WKR
10% beef loin fat....... I go to a butcher that gets a lot of livestock so he hangs the beef for weeks.

"Living high on the hog" is a hint as to the best fat on an animal.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Straight. Raw egg, salt and pepper, make into patties, let chill in the fridge for a bit. Take them out and let them come down closer to room temp.

Never ever an issue with burgers falling apart on the grill or smoker.

I do a few packages of straight and a few with bacon ends. The straight is used when making tacos, chili and stuff like that. The stuff with bacon ends is for grilling burgers so they don’t end up so dry and hold together nicely. Plus it saves me from having to cook bacon separately for bacon cheeseburgers!

Sled

WKR
5 to 10 percent suet on average for my burger. Fat I gets a bad rap. It's necessary and this is a good place to get it.

BayouBen

FNG
Straight. I also cook my elk burgers medium rare.

I know where all my game meat is coming from, how it was processed, and how it was cared for. I certainly wouldn't want to add something to it that might contaminate it or make it taste bad.
I love this answer. My thoughts exactly.

Sled

WKR
5 to 10 percent suet on average for my burger. Fat gets a bad rap. It's necessary and this is a good place to get it.

I'll add that my family only eats wild game if it's available. I'll bet we buy less than 20lbs of beef a year on average. So, all the meals we make with grind are elk, deer or antelope. If we get several animals, the last 100lbs of grind gets no fat mixed in so it saves longer. This year we are likely to end up with two elk a moose and possibly a couple deer. Three of those tags are hard to come by. We'll share with those that help pack and buy a new freezer for the rest. Most of that will get no fat added. The first 100lbs will get 5%.

I’ve always done 10% but this year I’m going to do straight elk to make sure it’s as lean as possible. And to make sure I get the true elk flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I smoke a lot of briskets and save the fat trim. Mix elk to beef 90/10. Last season I made a batch 80/20 for burgers. Man, it's good stuff.

I add a couple pounds of 90/10 beef burger to the grinder if I’m not going with just straight venison on whitetails.