Elk Calling for Dummies

Whisky

WKR
I did a search and couldn't find anything specifically discussing this. Pending a draw, we are going to be trying our luck at bow hunting rutting elk this year. First time elk hunters, and aside from getting in elk shape, my biggest concern is getting the calling down. I call coyotes and waterfowl and realize that knowing what calls to use, and when, can make or break the hunt. I've read the articles here on Rokslide, and received my first mag of Extreme Elk. I watched the video on Elknuts website going over the differences between his grunt tubes.

I see there are many different kinds of diaphragm mouth calls, external reed calls and of course grunt tubes. It looks like some grunt tubes work in conjunction with mouth reeds, and others do not. I'm looking for a quick rundown on the purpose or different uses of each different style call. I would also appreciate any suggestions for some calls to pick up for a beginner so I can get to practicing. Keep in mind size and dual purpose would be nice, as I won't be elk hunting from the roads. I will also be looking to get my hands on some instructional DVDs or CD's.

Thanks all,
Whisky

ctdad

FNG
I have elknut cd's and have learned a lot from them. I also subscribe to Chris Roe website (Roe Hunting resources) and his videos are also very helpful for me. I prefer each for certain things but find the two together to be the most information.

huntwest

Lil-Rokslider
Whisky, I'll send ya a pm. I have a couple things that might help you.

ElkNut1

WKR
I understand where you're coming from & how lack of elk knowledge can be frustrating, I'd recommend keeping it simple & grow as you slowly digest info, no need to overwhelm your self as you take info in to shorten the learning curve. You can consider Instruction that would ready you for this years elk hunt, many have done this with great success, new & old alike. We have 100's of testimonials over the years that we've received from hunters just like you looking for answers to simple questions as well as not so simple. You're not a dummy, you just need a bit of elk education & you will be well on your way. Check out this link of hunters who took the time to instruct themselves & see what they have to say. http://www.elknut.com/Testimonial/Testimonial.html

ElkNut1

Get Elknut's DVD's. He does a great job explaning all of the different elk sounds and what they are saying to each other. It's important to not just be able to make the different sounds, but to know what to say to the elk in different situations. He breaks this down very well. You could probably do without #3 "Calling all Cows" if you are on a budget, but definitely get Dvd's 1, 2 & 4. The Elknut Playbook is also very helpful.

For calls, you are starting early enough that you should be able to get good sounds out of a mouth diaphragm before elk season. Practice, practice, practice. I really like calls by Bugling Bull, but it comes down to personal preference. I like the Mellow Yellow for cow calls, The Challenge for bugles and either the Raging Bull or Elk101 All Star for both bugles and cow calls. For a grunt tube, Elk Nut's "Chuckler" and Bugling Bull's "Bully Bull" are my two favorites.

You should also pick up an external reed cow call to vary things up. Bugling Bull's "Temptress" and Primos "Hyper Lip Single" would both do the job.

OP
Whisky

Whisky

WKR
I ended up calling Elknut and we had a very good conversation. He hooked me up with a box of goods that's for sure. He went above and beyond, we talked for quite a while.:D

Thanks Paul, and thanks to everybody else too for the suggestions, and huntwest for his offer!!

Whisky

huntwest

Lil-Rokslider
You ordered from one of the best. I hope you ordered the play book, it will definitely shorten the learning curve.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Elknut cd's, dvd's and the playbook have been a game changer for me. Great to hear he hooked you up! All the best.

RUTTIN

WKR
Your on the right track, I got his playbook and the MP3's with what the sounds he talks about sound like. Helped out a ton of when to use certain sounds. Good luck!

KMT

WKR
I've taken a look at elknut's site, and he has a lot of good info on it. It is a great place to start. You will make lots of mistakes when you start out. I was lucky my first year and was in the middle of tons of elk. I got ten years worth of experience in 3 weeks. Heck, I still make a lot of mistakes, some are repeat mistakes. Hang in there.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted practice, practice and find reeds and or calls that you are able to make good realistic sounds with . Elk have many variances in their vocalizations, so variety is better than the same old sound each time, as no call is exactly the same. That is how I recognize a Hoochie, it is the same every time and I personally will not use it. If one reed does not work for you do not get dejected, nor if the sounds are not coming quickly. Try various Manufacturers as one call may work for someone and not for the next person..7 months to be ready.........Good Luck!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always sound pretty good until he screaming right back in my face hard to keep composure after that.

OP
Whisky

Whisky

WKR
Got a box of goodies yesterday. Already read the Playbook, very good stuff!!! Any attempts at sounding like an elk thus far have me sounding more like a screaming Sasquatch than anything. Haven't got into the DVDs yet. Every time I pick up the Temptress it usually turns into a coyote sequence. Not a bad coyote call. :D

IMAG0701_zpsedbdd02c.jpg

OP
Whisky

Whisky

WKR
Rock,
It's not the XTR bugle, but the EL....It was kind of a custom package. I think it would be his #6 with Volumes 2 and 4 added, as well as The Temptress.