Elk Calling Help

cfdjay

WKR
Can you guys send me in a decent youtube video direction for learning diaphragm calls? I'm really comfortable with them (turkey) but need to start practicing for Sept. Any and all info on calls, tubes, diaphragms etc is welcome!! Thanks!

Laramie

WKR
Can you guys send me in a decent youtube video direction for learning diaphragm calls? I'm really comfortable with them (turkey) but need to start practicing for Sept. Any and all info on calls, tubes, diaphragms etc is welcome!! Thanks!
There are other tools out there to help but I'm not aware of anything better than the ElkNut app. Paul has quite a bit of free content out there so you can check it out- youtube, podcasts, etc. If you are committed to really learning, the app is the way to go. However, nothing replaces personal experiences calling elk. Your first few years will be a struggle... but damn it's fun.

wytx

WKR
Watch the how to videos then watch some actual elk sounds, not just calling. I haven't watched or used ElkNut but it sounds like a great resource for learning.
Listening to actual elk and mimicking them works for me.

Isaac_SBO

FNG
Subscribed, I’ll be interested to hear what everyone has to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch the how to videos then watch some actual elk sounds, not just calling. I haven't watched or used ElkNut but it sounds like a great resource for learning.
Listening to actual elk and mimicking them works for me.

Agree with this. Mimicking sounds seems to have helped me more than mimicking techniques because its different from one person to another.

I started learning how to call 2 1/2 years ago, so its still a work in progress. But I also had used turkey diaphragms for years before - Id say youre ahead of the curve if youre comfortable with turkey calls. The amp frames from Phelps works best for me. Pink, Maverick, Grey and Pitch Black 2. I have a few different tubes (unleashed, unrivaled, rocky mountain wapiti whacker) and i think the mouth opening of the tube is just as much a personal preference as the diaphragm call. The Phelps have a larger mouth opening, the wapita whacker has a pull off mouthpiece ring that allows you to go from a larger to smaller diameter. But I prefer the Phelps Renegade as its a middle ground between those 2.

As others have said, the ElkNut app is easily worth picking that up too.

I’d recommend the Elknut Chuckler but I believe I have the last one in existence. Next best thing? Get the Elknut app. It will help bring you along. Particularly if you already have an idea of what style reed fits the pallet and you are confident calling with one. You should be calling in no time! There are a ton of videos out there too.

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for Elknut. He has real elk sounds, his calls and then probably more important, what they mean and when or when not to use them. I have called in a lot of elk due solely to his content. The first one I shot with my bow was EXACTLY like he said. I swear that bull read Elknut's Playbook, like I did. Buy that too.

Usi05

WKR
Elk nut. Buy it. Let’s you record your own sounds and play them against real sounds.

Also recommended trying several reeds. Start with some beginners then switch to others once you get the sounds down on first reeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk