Elk Calling/Hunting Podcast!

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
Just talked with the APP guys, they guaranteed it would be ready no later than Friday! The Slow Play & 9 additional Tactics will be on it! Thank You!

ElkNut/Paul
9 more tactics...What??!! I’m freakin out man...those elks don’t stand a chance now!!!

Mule

FNG
Paul -- really enjoyed all your podcast appearances lately!

My partner has not come up to speed on his calling abilities as I had hoped he would. Knowing that cold-calling is an option, but really wanting to employ slow-play's, do you have any tactical recommendations other than me calling from the back and running up to the front?

Don't listen to it!
Just get in there and challenge every bull;)

All Elknuts podcasts are pure gold, in my humble opinion. This one is certainly no exception. I'll send you my successful elk pics this year, Paul. Got 2 tags in Montana, and 2 limited entry tags in New Mexico to fill....

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Mule, bummer on your buddy not being as motivated & serious about the calling game as yourself! You're not alone bud, I hear the same story from many hunters in your shoes every year! Sounds like you're taking it well!

There's two things to consider in your situation.

#1 - When employing the Slow Play Tactic make sure your setup is a tight one, look for spots where the oncoming bull MUST be in your bowrange before he can see the source of the calling. This in itself will promote a close encounter as a solo hunter. Problems arise when hunters setup in too open of country giving the bull the upper-hand to stop out of range knowing he should see something from that spot, take that from him & he will stay in search mode & come on in! -- I've called in countless bulls with this tactic with & without a shooter, in nearly every case either the shooter or I could have killed the bull, they come in that close! You just have to be on your toes to watch & listen for his approach especially if it's a silent one. (no bugling from him) This way you can draw while he's still hidden as he comes to you!

#2 - Since you have a partner consider doing the Tactic & as things develop & you know the bulls on his way leave your partner there just to rake & shuffle about, he doesn't need to call at all, he's just giving the oncoming bull something to focus on. This allows you to move forward left/right 20-25 yards in the good cover you've chosen from your partner raking distracting the bull. Make sure your partner stays concealed, he doesn't need to stand up & blow the setup! -- Let me know if you have further questions!

Montanaelk31 - Thanks man! You have your hands full there with those tags, good luck to you & I look forward to those photos! Bugle on!

ElkNut/Paul